Anyone have opinions/experience with pac - man frogs

Nolan1992

I think those guys are so funny/cool to watch. Heard they're pretty basic to care for as well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I've had had them before. Love 'em. Pretty easy keepers and so fun to feed.

Nolan1992

I've had had them before. Love 'em. Pretty easy keepers and so fun to feed.

I saw a video of one eating some crickets, hilarious. I've seen on several care sheets that a ten-gallon is efficient and many people keep them at room temperature as well. Was this true for you?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My room temp was a bit above the norm due to all the other aquariums and reptile enclosures, but yes. And a 10 gallon is sufficient size wise.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!

Thats one of my favorite little guys. My friend breeds them, and I head start the little guys.

Nolan1992

My room temp was a bit above the norm due to all the other aquariums and reptile enclosures, but yes. And a 10 gallon is sufficient size wise.
Thank you Tom.

Thats one of my favorite little guys. My friend breeds them, and I head start the little guys.

That's awesome, they seem like fun/interesting amphibians to learn about so I think I am sold on getting one.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
They are indeed very cool! They like a good 3" of moist, loose EcoEarth (or any brand).

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have one . I feed him gut loaded crickets, surper worms, and pinky mice . I keep my packmans enclosure at 80 degrees . I have eco earth and a Ivey plant in his enclosure . I pour water in his enclosure weekly . I have him setup in a 20 gallon long tank with a water bowl . He mostly sits in the eco earth and hides right on top of the heat pad . Only comez out at night to eat crickets . If you feed them crickets you will need to make surs the crickets have something to eat or they will eat your frog .

Nolan1992

Do you guys know of a good place with a wide selection of morphs? I will settle for nothing less than a beauty/professional cricket assassin!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
No sorry . I got my frog from a local reptilian store in Hockly, Texas .

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Try LLL Reptile. They have some really cool little guys. Let me find a link.

Nolan1992

Critter Keepers are very small.
Housing
A plastic shoebox or critter keeper is an appropriate size for any juvenile under six months of age. Once they outgrow that, a ten gallon aquarium should be the minimum. Keep frogs separate because they have known to attempt to eat each other, especially two males. A screen lid should be on the tank at all times to prevent escapes. If given the chance, they will try to get out.

I'm not sure why, it says it on that care sheet as well.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
For a little guy I guess it could work. I don't think its reasonable to buy several cages as the frog grows. You'll end up buying a new setup within the year!

Nolan1992

For a little guy I guess it could work. I don't think its reasonable to buy several cages as the frog grows. You'll end up buying a new setup within the year!

Yes I agree, I just wasn't sure because some care sheets for different reptiles will say to put hatchlings in smaller enclosures because they'll get lost/confused, but I guess since these guys are so sedentary that wouldn't be an issue. Thank you for the care sheet, I hadn't found one that helpful when I did my search.