Anyone else think this florida box looks "fantastic and healthy"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR.
RE: Anyone else think this florida box looks "fantastic and healthy"?

Ouch!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would be careful. That looks like a nasty lifted crack in the shell. I would be afraid that it wasn't taken care of and more could be going on under it. Just my opinion, I am no expert.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
No not at all.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I don't know about fantastic but it does look healthy. Looks like it may have been hit by a lawn mower blade. Should still be able to breed. If I was getting it I would try to fill the gap, so he wouldn't get hung up on something he is trying to go under. Another important thing is the seller is not trying to hide the injury.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Len said:
I don't know about fantastic but it does look healthy. Looks like it may have been hit by a lawn mower blade. Should still be able to breed. If I was getting it I would try to fill the gap, so he wouldn't get hung up on something he is trying to go under. Another important thing is the seller is not trying to hide the injury.

Agreed on all points.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
He does look to be healthy, and the price is very attractive! The damage doesnt look as though it hurt him to much but i would pri more into the acident rescue and age of the wound. I did click the users name he seems to have ALOT of tan phase gulf coast box turtles, just to throw that out there :)

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river

The shell injury should be repaired but he looks like he is other wise healthy. I've seen worst injuries on boxers that have been fixed.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
It looks like eithere the scute is flaking off (raging bacterial infection of the shell), or actual physical damage from a mower or something.

I would have thought that if you were collecting turtles in the wild to sell, you would leave that one there.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
well its far to late to fix the shell by setting it and allowing it to heal, the only thing you could really do is to fill it in, if needed.

Hadnt thought of a bacterial infection though..

You are right about that, of all the turtles to "collect" even this one cant escape the greed of the pet trade.. :(

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL

I paid $100 for my Florida hatchling and she is perfect (not to brag) and the vet said she was VERY well taken care of by the breeder and by me. So Idk if $110 is that great . Where do u live ?

Status
Not open for further replies.