Anyone else here with Phantosmia?

charlygal123

Location (City and/or State)
Kent UK
Random thought, I watched a documentary a few years back about certain people who could smell Parkinson’s disease and a laboratory did a series of tests lots of people can smell medical things from gum defects right up to cancer! There’s lots lots of reports online about it. Some people smell things others don’t! I see it as an ability not everyone shares (just one of the things that makes you an individual) I have really sensitive hearing but it is annoying when others can’t hear what I do so I do sympathise with you! But I love it when I can hear the train station announcing when the trains are coming usually in the morning while in the kitchen, my fella can’t believe it we live 1.3 miles away from the train station. I’ve proved it by telling him what I can hear and he’s even checked It against the train times (Just because he can’t believe it ?) awesome ?

Pointydog

West Virginia
Random thought, I watched a documentary a few years back about certain people who could smell Parkinson’s disease and a laboratory did a series of tests lots of people can smell medical things from gum defects right up to cancer! There’s lots lots of reports online about it. Some people smell things others don’t! I see it as an ability not everyone shares (just one of the things that makes you an individual) I have really sensitive hearing but it is annoying when others can’t hear what I do so I do sympathise with you! But I love it when I can hear the train station announcing when the trains are coming usually in the morning while in the kitchen, my fella can’t believe it we live 1.3 miles away from the train station. I’ve proved it by telling him what I can hear and he’s even checked It against the train times (Just because he can’t believe it ?) awesome ?
That's awesome! I hear well, but nowhere near that well.
I'd love to see that documentary about smelling illness. It's not a very useful skill, but it would be interesting to see if they explain what things are smellable like that and why.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It's so tempting to think that this is real. But it's so strong that its actually too strong.
Like it is only inches away. As I walk around the house it doesn't get more or less strong. And I've jammed my head into every crevice, cabinet. Even house plants.
Makes sense when it actually is "in your head".
Its stinging my eyes.
I guess the truth is that the burning eyes are actually another symptom of the condition and not caused by the smell.
Kinda blows my mind.
I've never encountered this smell and I'm not aware that I ever smelled something no one else did before this all happened.

Last edited:

charlygal123

Kent UK
That's awesome! I hear well, but nowhere near that well.
I'd love to see that documentary about smelling illness. It's not a very useful skill, but it would be interesting to see if they explain what things are smellable like that and why.
I’ll have a dig around the Internet Later and see if I can find that documentary it’s gotta be out there somewhere, it was really interesting but I agree it’s not very useful unless you know what your smelling I suppose and could help someone before they knew themselves although imagine some one coming up to you saying I think you might have an illness I can smell it ? most people would think you was insane

Pointydog

West Virginia
Agree :) I just find it interesting to see if scientists have figured out what it is that can be smelled ( maybe the higher levels of waste in the blood?) And how exactly we can smell that.
@ZEROPILOT , can you rule out a sinus infection?
This might be gross, but late last night I remembered something that happened to me about 25 years ago but that I hadn't thought about in ages.
I had a headache (very unusual for me) and watery eyes that lasted about 2 weeks but felt like a month. I could hardly smell my food. I was standing in a hot shower letting the water hit my forehead, as hot as it would get, trying to make that headache go away.
here comes the TMI.....warnings
Suddenly a bunch of ropy goop started coming out of my nose and into the back of my throat, accompanied by a weird crackling sound/feeling and the pain was immediately gone. The smell of that goop was so bad, I can't even describe it. It continued to drain for a few minutes with the drainage getting thinner and finally stopped.
Later conversation with my awesome, practical doctor who trained in the Philippines was almost comical. She said that's what happens when you have a bad sinus infection and ignore the killer headache for 2 weeks. She also though that outcome would be better than her treating it since whatever caused it was certainly flushed out while antibiotics might stop an infection but leave the nasty stuff in there.
Nothing remotely like it has ever happened to me before or since.
I was remembering that unbelievable smell and thought it might be like what you're experiencing.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dead animals under the house? Or dead mouse in the house?
I wish!
I'd know that smell.
And my house is cement block with a poured cement fountain.
Nothing to get under.
It's not as horrible smelling as that. But it's very strong.

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Agree :) I just find it interesting to see if scientists have figured out what it is that can be smelled ( maybe the higher levels of waste in the blood?) And how exactly we can smell that.
@ZEROPILOT , can you rule out a sinus infection?
This might be gross, but late last night I remembered something that happened to me about 25 years ago but that I hadn't thought about in ages.
I had a headache (very unusual for me) and watery eyes that lasted about 2 weeks but felt like a month. I could hardly smell my food. I was standing in a hot shower letting the water hit my forehead, as hot as it would get, trying to make that headache go away.
here comes the TMI.....warnings
Suddenly a bunch of ropy goop started coming out of my nose and into the back of my throat, accompanied by a weird crackling sound/feeling and the pain was immediately gone. The smell of that goop was so bad, I can't even describe it. It continued to drain for a few minutes with the drainage getting thinner and finally stopped.
Later conversation with my awesome, practical doctor who trained in the Philippines was almost comical. She said that's what happens when you have a bad sinus infection and ignore the killer headache for 2 weeks. She also though that outcome would be better than her treating it since whatever caused it was certainly flushed out while antibiotics might stop an infection but leave the nasty stuff in there.
Nothing remotely like it has ever happened to me before or since.
I was remembering that unbelievable smell and thought it might be like what you're experiencing.
I DO indeed have some kind of sinus thing going on.
I've had like post nasal drip and a dry cough for months. Maybe a year. And I'm hoping that my Phantosmia is caused by that.
But I haven't read of any cases that report such a strong and pungent odor. Just a light foul scent.
And this isn't particularly foul smelling. But it is unpleasant and it is VERY strong.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I wish!
I'd know that smell.
And my house is cement block with a poured cement fountain.
Nothing to get under.
It's not as horrible smelling as that. But it's very strong.
OK...you certainly know better than I...but one last suggestion then I'll shut up (well maybe that's a lie)..., you said cement block...like my 'cinder' block? It rains here for 7 months, with breaks for ice and snow...I'll post a picture of my blocks, they grow mold and moss and Brown Recluse spiders...and I think they smell swampy...gotta be at least that wet in Fla??

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
OK...you certainly know better than I...but one last suggestion then I'll shut up (well maybe that's a lie)..., you said cement block...like my 'cinder' block? It rains here for 7 months, with breaks for ice and snow...I'll post a picture of my blocks, they grow mold and moss and Brown Recluse spiders...and I think they smell swampy...gotta be at least that wet in Fla??
Oh, yes.
Cement blocks crack and they're also not immune to getting moldy.
I originally looked for mold.
I appreciate your suggestions.
It makes almost no sense.
Let me use dog poop for example.
If there was a big pile of it in my back bed room. I might get a whiff of it in my living room. Walking down the hallway, that smell would get more noticeable and then entering the bedroom, you'd know you have found it.
This smell is so strong, it's like the dog poop in right in front of my face. It's that strong at times. And thankfully smells slightly better than dog poo.
But not a whole lot better.
And walking around the house to investigate the source does nothing.
I cannot locate the source or identify the smell.
I also rarely smell it away from home. And sometimes while at home, I don't smell it at all.
(Like at this moment)

Last edited:

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Oh, yes.
Cement blocks crack and they're also not immune to getting moldy.
I originally looked for mold.
I appreciate your suggestions.
It makes almost no sense.
Let me use dog poop for example.
If there was a big pile of it in my back bed room. I might get a whiff of it in my living room. Walking down the hallway, that smell would get more noticeable and then entering the bedroom, you'd know you have found it.
This smell is so strong, it's like the dog poop in right in front of my face. It's that strong at times. And thankfully smells slightly better than dog poo.
But not a whole lot better.
And walking around the house to investigate the source does nothing.
Ghosts...your house is haunted by ghosts...stinky ghosts...do you think this phantom smelling is going to fade away? Isn't that a symptom of Covid-19?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ghosts...your house is haunted by ghosts...stinky ghosts...do you think this phantom smelling is going to fade away? Isn't that a symptom of Covid-19?
I hope it just goes away.
But I don't know why it started.
Yes, a lot of COVID-19 patients say that they lose the sense of smell, so that part might be good. Up to the point that I croak due to heart issues and diabetes....

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Because not enough ppl are laughing lately...road rage...and there's only 2 cars on the road, rude ppl in the stores...tension...I'd rather spend time building Sulcata pens in blackberries...
I laugh at everything possible.
Almost everything is comical if you look at it the right way.
Including something as REDICULOUS as smelling something that doesn't exist and stories of ghosts.
I've shared both.
I find humor in a lot of things
I'm also curious about some unusual things

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I laugh at everything possible.
Almost everything is comical if you look at it the right way.
Including something as REDICULOUS as smelling something that doesn't exist and stories of ghosts.
I've shared both.
I find humor in a lot of things
Ok so I'll confess then...I really only need one other car to get road rage...