Anyone else experience THIS? (theft of tortoise)

Barber25

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Freeland Michigan
Hi all, just an open discussion. I recently got my house broken into. Nothing was stolen except for my tortoise Elvis, his enclosure, and lamps....

My question is, has anyone else ran into a theft where they steal a pet of yours?? To break into your house and steal your pet??? Outrageous
I hate to say it, but it does indeed appear that Elvis has left the house..

Nash

5 Year Member
S. New Mexico
I don't want to scare you, but I think they will be back. The tortoise, box and accessories were easy to run off with. They had a chance to see what you had, it's possible they will try again. Here's what I would do...Stuart cams or some cam like the stuart cam are very inexpensive, $26.00 on Amazon. They guide you as to how you can download these "eyes" onto your phone. When you aren't there you can keep an eye on your place. The app is free. Just a thought. You'd have to go into the app when you want to look into your house. It doesn't stay on all the time, unfortunately. Maybe someone else has a better cam. I'm sorry for your loss. Just knowing someone else was in your house without your permission is very unsettling.

C. Nelson

Grand Junction, CO
Hi all, just an open discussion. I recently got my house broken into. Nothing was stolen except for my tortoise Elvis, his enclosure, and lamps....

My question is, has anyone else ran into a theft where they steal a pet of yours?? To break into your house and steal your pet??? Outrageous

Keep us posted. That's so traumatic. A tortoise-napping.

Medwards

London. UK.

Hi so sorry to hear this. My dad was broken into last February and had his 3 tortoises stolen, they were hibernating in a bedroom. House was trashed to make it look like a robbery but apart from a little bit of money they were the only things taken. They never went in the shed or greenhouse so knew that they were in the house. They did enter the loft first before they found them. We had 2 old tortoises (I was 4 when we Toby, had him 40 years) and 1 about 20 years old. No idea why someone would take tortoises. I'm still heartbroken about it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Very odd (and incredibly sad too). What kind of tortoise? Has to be someone who knows you.....and what you had. Someone getting back at you?
Exactly what I was thinking. Someone that knew you had a tortoise and that's all they came for.
Any regular robber doesnt want to deal with spending money on taking care of a tortoise even if they plan on selling it. They still have to spend money feeding it.
Keep an eye out on craigslist just incase but also spread the word among your really close friends you can trust to feel out any acquaintances or enemies.
So sorry hope you find who took him and you get him back.

Brian Nicoleau

Massachusetts

Wow that’s sad out of all the things they could have possibly taken it had to be a tortoise out of all the things like jewelry your tv it had to be a tortoise well good thing you didn’t get robbed of either but you still lost your precious tortoise sad it had to be someone you know because they didn’t rob for money they robbed for your loved animal hope you get it back?

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina

I’m so sorry about Elvis. It had to be someone who had seen him. Maybe a friend of a friend?
This is a terrible thing.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
So sorry about Elvis. I know that sucks, years ago we had a puppy stolen.
In a few weeks when the enclosure needs to be cleaned out, the idea of having a pet might
wear on the thief. For sure be checking Craig's List, etc. all the time.
Shame you couldn't fly a drone thru all the neighbors yards to do a tortoise check.
Also on garbage day, see if any enclosure items are by the curb areas.
Did the person who bought the Tv come in the house ?
Is there a blood hound for tortoises ? There needs to be.... Sorry :(

Sassafras

Connecticut
Sounds like someone coveted what you had. Who is the very first person that sprang to your mind upon this discovery? Intuition is your friend.

I don't think you'll be seeing it on Craig's list. Sounds like they want to keep it for themselves, taking all his essential health preserving equipment. Targeting just him from everything else in your apt.
Who do you know who has learned from YOU, just what a healthy tortoises needs are? Maybe just in passing.
So sorry this happened to you and Elvis.

Nayry

London
Thugs! Maybe someone who has already one T but wanted a quick much better setting and the opposite gender to breed them.Could be young people who have no idea how difficult is to care for reptiles in order to mimic real life conditions, (not living with parents necessarily); could be some one who knows exactly what they are doing (but the bad neighbourhood would suggest not many could afford to keep such creatures and there is no practicality in keeping them when one has to worry about tommorow 's bread). It's a big tank therefore easy to spot if reselling it. V difficult to resell this sort of things. I have a strong feeling is not far from you. Probably best thing is to appeal to their conscience . See what police thinks. And you need cameras with/and sensor(motion) lights around the house. Hopefully your tortie is fine and who got him/her will get bored and bring it back in good health.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Well, it could have been an ex that missed the pet tortoise alot more than they were missing you....
I have experienced many breakups where my boyfriend cared way more about the dog than any aspect of a future relationship. I would definitely consider it. Even if they haven't been around for a while.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I can share your feelings on this as I have experienced a similar loss of a turtle years ago that I really treasured.
So very sorry and hope that by some miracle, which I really don't believe in, but seems to happen sometimes anyway, you may get him back.
I think it was probably the tank and not the tortoise they wanted, but it may have been both. I hope he will be well cared for by whoever ends up with him if you don't.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Then you might make a flyer to hang up that says something along the lines of....
"Don't care who you are... don't want to know.. Realize that the equipment might have value to you, so keep it... But please return the "precious life" that was contained within... "Name of tortoise"-my "whatever breed" because I love and miss him/her.. There will be a plastic tote on my porch/driveway, please feel free to return ((mention name again)) to the tote, there will be no cameras and no law enforcement involved. Just want my little guy/girl back."
Try playing on the heart strings. If your thought of equipment is right, they won't want the animal.

-Meg
I think so too.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
No, we sold our old tv cause we were getting ready to buy a new one, and they didn’t bother touching my safe. It is very bizarre they didn’t rummage through anything in the house like they already knew where he was

I would check EVERY “pawn shop” and “pet store” in the area immediately!!!
Maybe he’ll turn up?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Must be some broke, bored, and desperate kids because T5 grow lights aren't even considered in the top tier when someone think about best lighting for growing indoor weed. HID and LED grow lights are far more preferable. They may have even scoped out your home for weeks before making their move. I suggest installing a camera security system to prevent this from occurring again.

not to get off the topic but.....
How do YOU Minority2 know what type of lights are for growing weed? ?