Anyone else’s Southern California tortoise trying to hibernate early?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
We had a week of really cloudy weather in early September and our Russian’s hibernation clock went off early. She slowed down much earlier than last year and starting digging into the yard pretty deep.

We’ve got her in the lock box at night now and it’s sunny but she has little interest in getting up. If we soak her and put her out midday, she’ll get warmed up to her usual 95-100 degrees and then go straight back to the box. Otherwise I’m not sure she’d get out at all.

She’s eating very little but her weight loss is minimal at this point; she’s healthy. I’d hate to put her in the fridge early, since I don’t plan to wake her up until late February/early March. But maybe that’s a better choice than trying to keep her up for two or three more weeks?

the Turtle Shepherd

Location (City and/or State)
nowhere
Um, if they went into hibernation in the spring, when did they ever come out?!

At any rate, she’s going into the fridge first thing tomorrow morning.
i feel retarded, not early spring, early september i meant to say :) lol:) the other one still stumbles about like a zombi on a cold day:) he was a rescue from a fry aquarium, so he is living it up outdoors and i guess, he is not used to hibernating, i will see how he does:) he is welcome to join his friends anytime :)