Anyone can recognize what are these weeds and whether tortoise can eat it?

qiangzhu

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Some typical weeds in my front yard. The last one may be rye grass, but I am not quite sure. And I don’t know what are others. Thank you!

Thanks for helpIMG_2702.jpgIMG_2703.jpgIMG_2705.jpgIMG_2706.jpgIMG_2707.jpgIMG_2704.jpg

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I think the first might be a California poppy (they have them in Utah!). Is the foliage a bit gray-green? I can’t quite tell from the photo. Californi poppies are safe.

The second I don’t know.

I agree the third and fourth photo looks like chicories (catsear, hawksbit, dandelion), all are safe. In the third photo you also have some burr or hop clover (upper left), safe. I think the fourth one might have some chickweed in it, the one with the white flowers. I’d need a better picture but chickweed is safe.

I don’t know five or six.

qiangzhu

Washington
3rd one looks like catsear or hawkbit, edible.

4th one looks like dandelion, also edible. My Greek loves these.

Thanks a lot! Besides eatible and safe, is it good for
tortoise health compared to mustard green, dandeleon green, wheat grass which can be bought from Grocery store?

qiangzhu

Washington
I think the first might be a California poppy (they have them in Utah!). Is the foliage a bit gray-green? I can’t quite tell from the photo. Californi poppies are safe.

The second I don’t know.

I agree the third and fourth photo looks like chicories (catsear, hawksbit, dandelion), all are safe. In the third photo you also have some burr or hop clover (upper left), safe. I think the fourth one might have some chickweed in it, the one with the white flowers. I’d need a better picture but chickweed is safe.

Thanks a lot! I’d like to ask the same question above. Besides eatible and safe, is it good for
tortoise health compared to mustard green, dandeleon green, wheat grass which can be bought from Grocery store?

qiangzhu

Washington

The second I don’t know.

And one more picture of the first ineIMG_2726.jpg

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Thanks a lot! I’d like to ask the same question above. Besides eatible and safe, is it good for

There aren’t any “best” foods. Some foods are high in calcium, some are high in vitamins. Broccoli is good for us humans, but if we only ate broccoli we wouldn’t be healthy. :)

Weeds and wild plants tend to have more fiber in them than what we get at the grocery store. For example, the chicories in your third and fourth photos are related to the dandelions you buy at the store. Both are good but the wild ones have more of the fiber our tortoises need.

The most important thing we can do is feed our tortoises as much variety as we can. If you have some poppies to add to your grocery store greens, great! The more different foods the better.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Yes, I really think it’s a poppy. I’ve got some by our front door.

The plant in there with the white flowers, is that the same as the one in your fifth photo? Pretty sure that’s bitter cress, which is safe.

chemprentice

5 Year Member
Southern California (OC)
Thanks a lot! Besides eatible and safe, is it good for

I don't know what tortoise you have, but I think most tortoises' diets include broadleaf weeds like what you have in the 3rd and 4th photos. They are good for tort health; it's food they would find in the wild.

My greek is growing up on weeds and he seems quite healthy:
20190312_230751995_iOS.jpg

qiangzhu

Washington
I don't know what tortoise you have, but I think most tortoises' diets include broadleaf weeds like what you have in the 3rd and 4th photos. They are good for tort health; it's food they would find in the wild.

My greek is growing up on weeds and he seems quite healthy:
View attachment 268035

And what’s this? It’s growing pattern looks like pic3 or pic4 but its leaf shape is differentIMG_2795.jpg

qiangzhu

Washington
Also some sort of broadleaf weed, dandelion. Also edible/good for torts.

Is there any typical weed which is not suitable for tortoise to eat? I think it will be easier that just put my tortoise in my yard to let it to eat whatever weed he would like to eat instead of picking up weeds by me for him.

But I’d like to make sure if there is any dangerous weed which is in my yard. At least no well-known, typical dangerous ones.

kent london
I live in England so i'm not sure what plants you have but I know high in toxin plants such as buttercups are poisonous but I would look into it more as I am not completely sure:p

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Is there any typical weed which is not suitable for tortoise to eat? I think it will be easier that just put my tortoise in my yard to let it to eat whatever weed he would like to eat instead of picking up weeds by me for him.

But I’d like to make sure if there is any dangerous weed which is in my yard. At least no well-known, typical dangerous ones.

I don’t worry about my tortoise eating whatever is growing in my yard but I’m pretty open minded about feeding. There is very little out there that isn’t going to make your tort sick if they are eating a bunch of different things imo. Eating only one or two things all the time is what’s not good for tortoises.

But plenty of people don’t agree with me. Generally speaking I say to new owners not to find anything they aren’t comfortable with. Maybe pick some for now until you are really familiar with the ones no one argues about. :)

Last edited:

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
I don’t worry about my tortoise eating whatever is growing in my yard but I’m pretty open minded about feeding. There is very little out there that isn’t going to make your tort sick if they are eating a bunch of different things imo. Eating only one or two things all the time is what’s not good for tortoises.

But plenty of people don’t agree with me. Generally speaking I say to new owners not to find anything they aren’t comfortable with. Maybe pick some for now until you are really familiar with the ones no one argues about. :)

I have built an outside 8ft exercise yard. But my tort does not eat any of the grasses. Hates hibiscus leaves and flowers. And just walks around the outside circle of the pen wanting to escape. He eats kale and romaine and loves his mazori cubes.I have been putting him outside with supervision, for 3 days. I got him as a hatchling in February.
He has gained weight and is now 3.2 oz.on a postal scale. Any ideas how I can get him to graze?

Reptilony

QC, CAN
I have built an outside 8ft exercise yard. But my tort does not eat any of the grasses. Hates hibiscus leaves and flowers. And just walks around the outside circle of the pen wanting to escape. He eats kale and romaine and loves his mazori cubes.I have been putting him outside with supervision, for 3 days. I got him as a hatchling in February.
He has gained weight and is now 3.2 oz.on a postal scale. Any ideas how I can get him to graze?

What specie?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
The 4th isn't dandelion.
Make sure it isn't ragwort which is toxic to all animals.
It changes at different stages of its growth, and it looks similar to that at its young stage.
I think the white flower in the same picture could be chickweed - feed in moderation
When you have some names check on www.thetortoisetable.org.uk to compare the pics and find out of they are safe or not.
It is a good guide for people who aren't confident at IDing weeds (like me)

Last edited:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I agree with Lyn, number 4 is NOT a dandelion ... and neither is number 3. Identifying plants wrongly is dangerous so please don’t guess!

Number 4 with its spikes/hairs appears to be some kind of sow thistle, but is definitely not a dandelion... and therefore you don’t attempt to feed until you get someone who knows.

My best advice is to tag one of the known plant experts such as @Iochroma.