Anybody Want A Softshell?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Today brought in a not quite full grown male spiny softshell turtle. He seems tame, at least he didn't scramble to get out of my hands and didn't try to bite me. He's free, providing you have a pond outside to put him in. @Markw84 ?

2018 Rescue #33.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Speaking of softshells. . . does anyone know if they put out a stinky musk as a defense mechanism? He had two spots, one on either side of the edge of his carapace right above his head that had a slight milky ooze, and it was very stinky.

MrMarg&me

Temecula California
We have a pond. 2000 gallons. Two koi, numerous goldfish and mosquito fish. But can the softshell live in our pond in the winter here in Temecula? Also I have a feeling you don’t ship do you Yvonne? Anyway I’ll do some research on the fella just because now I’m curious.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Thanks for thinking of me, but I am at my limit and don't want to add another species. No softshells.

And... @MissMarg&me he would be fine with the winter in your pond. They do best with a soft (sandy) bottom they can dig in and cover themselves.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not a big fan of shipping, but my partner will be coming up from SoCal in either September or October. If you REALLY want the turtle, he can bring it south when he goes back home. Let me know.

MrMarg&me

Temecula California
I'm not a big fan of shipping, but my partner will be coming up from SoCal in either September or October. If you REALLY want the turtle, he can bring it south when he goes back home. Let me know.
Ok Yvonne. I will talk to the husband. I did my research and as Markw84 said they need a sandy bottom. Our pond is a natural style. I know the bottom is muddy. We have added sand in the past but I don’t know if it would be enough for the turtle. I read they need to bask then when they bury in the sand the action of the sand scraping helps keep the shell healthy.

TestudinesSG

Speaking of softshells. . . does anyone know if they put out a stinky musk as a defense mechanism? He had two spots, one on either side of the edge of his carapace right above his head that had a slight milky ooze, and it was very stinky.

I had a soft shell a couple years ago, and when I picked him up when he didn’t want to be, he did release a stinky musky odor, although, I never noticed any milky ooze with mine.

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
Over the years, I've had several soft shells, ranging in size from three to about eight inches. They're most interesting aquarium dwellers, but I will add that they can bite . . . and hard at that.