Anybody keep shrimp?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Does anyone here keep shrimp as aquarium pets- NOT just as turtle food?
I am seriously considering starting a shrimp tank with the cherry red shrimp- they’re supposed to be pretty resilient as shrimp go, and good for a beginner.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
I raise amphipods and daphnia as a food source for some Pygmy sunfish and keep a tub of amphipods just for entertainment.
The larger turtle tubs and ponds have a colony of them to help with clean up.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My puffer fish tank has a small colony of brackish water shrimp living in it. They were meant as food and even though most did get eaten, these guys seem to be unappealing to the puffer and have lived for a couple of years. Often hanging out right in front of the puffer without even a second look.
The thing is that they are very small and hard to view from across the room. It seems they'd be too small to be very interesting.
Maybe if they were on a desk or in a countertop display tank.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
My puffer fish tank has a small colony of brackish water shrimp living in it. They were meant as food and even though most did get eaten, these guys seem to be unappealing to the puffer and have lived for a couple of years. Often hanging out right in front of the puffer without even a second look.
The thing is that they are very small and hard to view from across the room. It seems they'd be too small to be very interesting.
Maybe if they were on a desk or in a countertop display tank.
The Cherry Red Shrimp are a bright red, and are 1-1.5 inches long, so would be a lot easier to see, which is why I'm thinking of getting them. :)

JSWallace

Hi Bee, I have Cherry red shrimp in my community aquarium. I bought three of them about a year a go and they disappeared the moment I put them in the tank so I assumed my water not right for them or they had been very expensive fish food. About six months later I suddenly started seeing them darting around the tank and now I have over thirty!! They are very entertaining to watch and do a great job of cleaning up the bottom of the aquarium. 20171227_140943.jpg

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Hi Bee, I have Cherry red shrimp in my community aquarium. I bought three of them about a year a go and they disappeared the moment I put them in the tank so I assumed my water not right for them or they had been very expensive fish food. About six months later I suddenly started seeing them darting around the tank and now I have over thirty!! They are very entertaining to watch and do a great job of cleaning up the bottom of the aquarium. View attachment 226068

COOL!!! [emoji2][emoji2][emoji2]

Damien Szkatulski

Today is my birthday!
Ohio, United States
Eco Sphere is what I was referring to.
They are red shrimp in a 100% sealed ecosystem that I'd been reading about.

Eco spheres are cool. But a 10 gallon tank with a decent setup is much more rewarding and infinitely more customizable. And if they have a problem.. you can actually fix it

DigBeatz

Los Angeles
I used to keep shrimp in my freshwater tank. They are very resilient and breed quickly if the water levels are right. They also just feed on the algea and parasites floating in the water. Here’s a video i made for the Aquarium forum i was in at the time:

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I have ghost shrimp, Amano shrimp, and bamboo shrimp in a 20 gal community aquarium. I especially love the bamboos...they are filter feeders, and are about 3 in long.

You have them all together? They get along?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
You have them all together? They get along?
Unfortunately I've lost my bamboos, 2 to failed molts, I think. The 3rd I don't know. I have not been able to keep up with regular water changes due to health issues with my husband and myself, so that could be why.
But yes, they got along just fine! I had about 5 Amanos, maybe 10 ghosties, and the 3 bamboos, along with some fish. Shrimp add almost no bioload.
I also at one point had 3 mystery snails in there with the shrimp. I still have a couple nerites.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Unfortunately I've lost my bamboos, 2 to failed molts, I think. The 3rd I don't know. I have not been able to keep up with regular water changes due to health issues with my husband and myself, so that could be why.
But yes, they got along just fine! I had about 5 Amanos, maybe 10 ghosties, and the 3 bamboos, along with some fish. Shrimp add almost no bioload.
I also at one point had 3 mystery snails in there with the shrimp. I still have a couple nerites.

COOL!!!![emoji2]
I am developing an appreciation and admiration for the invertebrates! [emoji7]