Any ways to...

turtlesailor

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
I would one day like to have a vacation home in Las Vegas...I read that Nevada only allow one tortoise to be adopted per household/member? Is their any way to adopt more than one like adding my family members even if they won't be part of the my future las vegas residence home? :p

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I believe their guidelines allow for only one to a residence and not to a person...their goal is to assure no male/female torts procreate in captivity....but rather the displaced torts have opportunity to live out the rest of their natural life....

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I wouldn't recommend it. If they set that rule there must be a good reason why they've set a quota on tortoises. If you went ahead and got more torts by saying you've got more family members living with you, and they find out, they could physically remove your torts that you've grown to love. How would you feel about that? It's just not worth it.

Are you sure that this rule applies to all tortoises, or to only DT?

turtlesailor

10 Year Member!
California
sibi said:
I wouldn't recommend it. If they set that rule there must be a good reason why they've set a quota on tortoises. If you went ahead and got more torts by saying you've got more family members living with you, and they find out, they could physically remove your torts that you've grown to love. How would you feel about that? It's just not worth it.

Are you sure that this rule applies to all tortoises, or to only DT?

I should have specifically meant Desert tortoise. ^.^'
Bummer...I guess I could reserve a space for one lone desert tortoise...I hoping a way to keep three females.

turtlesailor

10 Year Member!
California
It a sad state to see what going on with Nevada Desert Tortoise Conservation Center. I read another article that they won't be euthanizing the remaining tortoises. Link
I wonder what are the chances of me to be able to adopt one after it closes or will it be possible. I won't be able to adopt or buy a dream vacation home until I can startup my own business within a couple of years. :(

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Where there is a will, there is a way. You will get one needy gopherus. But this brings up a good point: why is adopting and having three female desert tortoises such a crime? Did the lawmakers think this through? (Haha, I said a funny). Three females would probably be okay and last I heard, they would not procreate. Males, I see. But why are multiple ladies not allowed when it can help the needing homes/homes available equation. Silly laws, tricks are for kids. Bleh.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Lied spokeswoman Meghan Scheibe said the shelter is developing protocols for an adoption program it plans to roll out sometime this fall for healthy adult male tortoises.

The article still is so focused on trying to hit on a variety of points without committing to anything...this is a prime example..why males only? I know likely the abundance is male but where are the females?

Also, no mention to testing subjects-- as they do shovel them off to drug companies for testing....they also infect healthy torts simply to run their testing on drugs and the effectiveness of the drugs....

Apology, I am totally going off topic....

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Is it possible that a lot more males than females got turned in to the shelter, because people can house females together with little trouble as opposed to the males?

turtlesailor

10 Year Member!
California
ascott said:
Lied spokeswoman Meghan Scheibe said the shelter is developing protocols for an adoption program it plans to roll out sometime this fall for healthy adult male tortoises.

The article still is so focused on trying to hit on a variety of points without committing to anything...this is a prime example..why males only? I know likely the abundance is male but where are the females?

Also, no mention to testing subjects-- as they do shovel them off to drug companies for testing....they also infect healthy torts simply to run their testing on drugs and the effectiveness of the drugs....

Apology, I am totally going off topic....

Oh my...I did not notice the abundance of males...I was only skimming through to wanting know the fate of the tortoise from this article. LOL

When I complete my studies and get the career I want, and to be able to afford to live in two states...If any available adoptions in Nevada in the future wether it be a male or female. I will just take one what ever will be available in the future. Really sad state to see going on with Nevada native tortoise. :(

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I know.
Protecting the protected from the protectors is what the People need to do, actively.
Really sucks that they got, what was it? 139 million dollars in 2008 and 5 years later no sustainability plan implemented for the tortoises to be safe. Chaps.My.Hide like you have no idea. I have given quite a few politicos a piece of my mind about this. People I know or have access to but you know how they blow things off for bigger fish to fry. The whole, tortoises (wolves, wild mustangs, insert here) don't vote thing.

Exciting that at least one more precious gopherus will find a host in you! Looking forward! Yay! : )