Any Tortoise good for a small enclosure?

DE42

Hello.
This is my first post and i just have a simple question. I'm expecting the answer is no but figured its worth a shot.

So I have an old bearded Dragon enclosure 4'Lx2'Wx2'H. Are there any miniature tortoises that could live in such an enclosure? I'd love to have one if it's possible but I understand if it's not.

Also if not what are some of the smallest species and what size enclosure would they need? Just so I can have an idea of what I'm really looking at.

Thank you to everyone that replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Your tank will be fine for starting a tiny hatchling, but even small species like russian tortoises, still need a 4x8' enclosure as an adult.

Also most tortoises will do best if you have an even larger enclosure outdoors for fair weather.

If you are limited to that tank size, check out Blue Tongue Skinks. Awesome pets.

Last edited by a moderator:

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
Hello and welcome. Your tank will be fine for starting a tiny hatchling, but even small species like russian tortoises, still need a 4x8' enclosure as an adult.

Also most tortoises will do best if you have an even larger enclosure outdoors for fair weather.

If you are limited to that tank size, check out Blue Tongue Skinks. Awesome pets.
Agreed blue tounges make awesome pets

DE42

Thanks for the suggestion and for the information it is much appreciated.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Personally, I believe that the bigger the enclosure the better. Don't forget that these cute little animals are used to the wild where they roam around without re lights/borders/boundaries.:)

And a warm welcome to the forum.:tort: