Any tips on improving my horsefield’s quality of life?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Y

yes, and pour water over the orchid bark, mess it around some with your hand, and in the future just pour water over it as needed.

maggie, where do you get your orchid bark?
Here it only comes in small 8 qt. Bags..
And the only large bag I found on Amazon says they put LIME in their “organic” one!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
maggie, where do you get your orchid bark?
Here it only comes in small 8 qt. Bags..
And the only large bag I found on Amazon says they put LIME in their “organic” one!
I moved to Oregon The Timber State, 15 years ago. I could not find orchid bark anywhere, so over the years I made the 1600 mile round tripto Y's house and I would load my car with tortoises and orchid bark for the return trip.
Recently my neighborhood is adding new houses and cut down a buncha trees to make room. They ran the branches through a chipper put them in an empty stop free for the taking. So L got several wheelbarrows full and damn it's good stuff. I'll take a picture, but first I got a drs appt. He's trying to admit me to the hospital...
I have recently seen it at Lowe's and Home Depot

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
I moved to Oregon The Timber State, 15 years ago. I could not find orchid bark anywhere, so over the years I made the 1600 mile round tripto Y's house and I would load my car with tortoises and orchid bark for the return trip.
Recently my neighborhood is adding new houses and cut down a buncha trees to make room. They ran the branches through a chipper put them in an empty stop free for the taking. So L got several wheelbarrows full and damn it's good stuff. I'll take a picture, but first I got a drs appt. He's trying to admit me to the hospital...
I have recently seen it at Lowe's and Home Depot

why are you getting admitted to hospital??
Are you ok?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Remember when the fat naked guy on a tortoise attacked me and made that puncture wound on my foot? Infected badly, I can't get a boot or my Vans on...Gotta go with a sock

Is it broken???
Omg.... Maybe it hit just the right spot like in between a nerve or something. That’s why your eyes turned black!?
I can not even imagine the pain!
I want to drive out there and help you!!!!
Ask if your “new roommate” could help out for the time being?
aawwww..... Maggie!!! I want to help you!
If ANYONE knows about needing help but NEVER getting it.... it’s ME!
People could be standing in front of me and STILL not help.!! They say....”well you never asked”...
REALLYYYYY?????!!!!!!!!
I have to ask you with tears in my eyes to take the darn couch OFF OF MY FOOT!!!
(Or something just the same).
???

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Y
Is it broken???
Omg.... Maybe it hit just the right spot like in between a nerve or something. That’s why your eyes turned black!?
I can not even imagine the pain!
I want to drive out there and help you!!!!
Ask if your “new roommate” could help out for the time being?
aawwww..... Maggie!!! I want to help you!
If ANYONE knows about needing help but NEVER getting it.... it’s ME!
People could be standing in front of me and STILL not help.!! They say....”well you never asked”...
REALLYYYYY?????!!!!!!!!
I have to ask you with tears in my eyes to take the darn couch OFF OF MY FOOT!!!
(Or something just the same).
???
you are just too funny. I am a strong independent woman who takes care of herself mostly, and I absolutely HATE someone in my house, especially if they are trying to help me...GO AWAY I holler at them...lol gotta go warm up Beauty and get going...

sarinaw

Dronfield
thank you for all the help you’ve given so far. I’ve been spending the day looking into viable options for the lighting equipment suggested. i already feel relatively comfortable in the substrate needed now except still wonder whether it needs the addition of anything to make it more moist as the pictures make the orchid bark look quite dry.
in terms of the lighting, I was just wondering if you could give your opinion on these options I have found. I have found an incandescent flooding bulb, a ceramic heater and ceramic holder, as well as a few options for a UV tube light as where i am from we have long periods of cold weather where it would be inappropriate to take Walter outside, so after reading your advice I think he needs the artificial kind during the winter.
please let me know what you think if it isn’t too much trouble
Please can someone help with this question???

Attachments

• 5AAC7E47-3E51-4418-A150-5AFCE3FBEE11.png
    5AAC7E47-3E51-4418-A150-5AFCE3FBEE11.png
    220.5 KB · Views: 9
  • B6D4E19B-B5B4-47B7-92E1-C0C1B5907937.png
    B6D4E19B-B5B4-47B7-92E1-C0C1B5907937.png
    209.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 11400272-DB2A-48F7-BEF9-87FA0A629A62.png
    11400272-DB2A-48F7-BEF9-87FA0A629A62.png
    140.3 KB · Views: 10
  • AC427123-AD69-4096-A02C-5CAB2338CBD2.png
    AC427123-AD69-4096-A02C-5CAB2338CBD2.png
    97.6 KB · Views: 14
  • E19FD535-888D-49D9-8F32-B9170B1B89A4.png
    E19FD535-888D-49D9-8F32-B9170B1B89A4.png
    97.9 KB · Views: 13

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Please can someone help with this question???

YES
MAYBE...If your house doesn't go below 18°C at night, you don't need nighttime heat.
YES
YES
MAYBE...If you can get your tort outside for an hour 2 or 3 x/week, with access to full unfiltered sunlight for most of the year, you don't need indoor UVB. If you want it anyway for the long cold winter...YES.

Don't forget the fixtures for the tube lights.