Any tips for dry skin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Hi all!

It's been a while! Both Darwin and Harper are doing just fine... in fact, Harper is exploding in size! When I got him in November he was barely 4", but now he's almost 5"!

Onto my question: Since I've had Harper, his skin has always been dry. The cage's humidity is always at least 80% on the humid side, and he has access to fresh water, but after 6 months the skin just hasn't come off. Primarily this is the top of his head and his forearms. I've tried brushing his head lightly with a toothbrush and that's loosened some of it, but not a ton. Can anyone recommend anything to get my tort looking nice and moisturized?

And Finally, an update pic, though not my best by any stretch.

View attachment 19571

Last edited by a moderator:

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Neither of them particularly like being forced into baths, but both like sitting under the humidifier hose which gets them nice and wet after a half hour.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Giving Them soaks can help, yet again tortoises are reptiles which shed their skin.
They sell a product called vita-shell. its a lotion cream that moisturizes their skin and shell...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I agree tortoises shed their skin. They do it gradually, not all in one go like snakes and can look downright tatty. It is completely normal and, as long as the underlying skin does not become sore, there is no problem.... leave well alone and it rubs off naturally. In the meantime, the next bit becomes loose and sheds...

Actually humans shed skin too, it's a major component of house dust. We just look better while we're doing it usually!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
After a good soaking, take a drop of cooking or unscented baby oil or any plain white unscented hand lotion and spread a VERY thin layer over the dry skin. This helps trap the moisture in the skin and helps it recover.

Or... it may actually be hard water deposits from soaks and misting. Try using distilled, filtered, or spring water for the soak with a couple drops of vinegar in it, then try the oil/lotion layer.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Jacob said:
Giving Them soaks can help, yet again tortoises are reptiles which shed their skin.
They sell a product called vita-shell. its a lotion cream that moisturizes their skin and shell...

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.