Any Russian owners from the U.K?

Linford

Just wondering how practical an outdoor enclosure is and how well suited Russians are to be kept outdoors over here. Is it too cold/wet? I don't really understand Fahrenheit over Centigrade. So finding the guides a bit difficult to follow.

Thanks!

As far as Torts are concerned, I've got a lot to Learn but the Patience to Learn it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
They call them "Horsfield" tortoises over there, so they might have no idea what you are asking about... Kidding, just kidding.

They are one of the most common tortoises in the UK, so they can do just fine there. I'll let UK owners give you the specifics.

Good luck with the metric conversions. Maybe one day the the US will catch up with the rest of the world... I use a conversion chart on my desktop for this.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
If you google, for instance, "80 Fahrenheit in Celsius" it'll calculate it for you. Try any temp you like and backward, C to F.

I'll let RT owners from the UK give you more details, as I'm not too familiar with you weather. I only hear that it's like Vancouver, BC, which tells me you cannot keep torts out all yr long.

I do know a couple of people on Instagram who brumate their torts for a few months, in their cellar, at a stable lower temp. Where they live, it's actually a short winter. That is, compared to ours in the Canadian Prairies that lasts from late October well into April. (Bleh!)

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1408664144.765279.jpg

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Wanda

10 Year Member!
South east UK
Hi Linford.
I keep Russians/horsfields and I live in the UK. Mine live out all year round and seem to thrive on it. I have an outdoor enclosure and an insulated shed with basking lamps on timers and a ceramic heater on a thermostat. Come autumn when they start to slow down I priced a couple more bags of good old topsoil in their shed and reduce food and light gradually. They dig down themselves and reappear in the spring.