Any recommendations or improvements to suggest?

Location (City and/or State)
Garland
I have a temporary enclosure in place for my 1-2 month old sulcata tortoise (Finley). When we got Finley he was in a pet store with a wire top, fake green grass, a hide, and a small water bowl with carrots in it. Finley was like that for about 4 weeks before we got him. So he wasn’t in the best condition (dry skin, not very mobile).

The enclosure I have for right now is 2 feet by 3 feet. (I will include pictures For everything)

There is a uvb light and a basking light that I keep on for 10-12 hours a day. The basking light is at 100-106*F. And the overall temp in the enclosure is about 76. The humidity is roughly 78-83 most times. His enclosure is topless which is what we are trying to fix (which is why I stated that it is a temporary enclosure) so Finley can have a constant 80% humidity.

For substrate I am using the zoo med repti bark. I also have a hide, an food bowl, and a water bowl. I spray the enclosure 2 times a day to keep the humidity up since there is no closed enclosure yet. Finley also gets soaked in warm water 2 times a day to help with the dry skin.

I know there is supposed to be a ceramic heating element for the night but I am yet to find one. At night it gets no colder than 75*F. But I feel like a heating element at night is still needed just in case.

If anyone has any ideas to help with this temporary enclosure, or if anyone has any criticism/ feedback all is welcome. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Congrats on the new baby!

You got the substrate and the basking rock right. Everything else needs to go.

Its all explained here:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
76 is too cold. 75 at night is much too cold.

The stick on dial type thermometer/hygrometers are not accurate or reliable. You'll need a digital unit from the hardware store for around $10-12. There is no way humidity is that high in an open topped enclosure under those electric lamps, unless the whole room is 90-100% humidity at all times.

This lights need to be on for 12-13 hours a day.

Those cfl type bulbs are ineffective as UV sources, and sometimes burn their eyes. They shouldn't be used.

The "intense reptile basking bulb" will cause intense pyramiding.

Your questions are welcome. Fire away! :)

Garland
76 is too cold. 75 at night is much too cold.

The stick on dial type thermometer/hygrometers are not accurate or reliable. You'll need a digital unit from the hardware store for around $10-12. There is no way humidity is that high in an open topped enclosure under those electric lamps, unless the whole room is 90-100% humidity at all times.

This lights need to be on for 12-13 hours a day.

Those cfl type bulbs are ineffective as UV sources, and sometimes burn their eyes. They shouldn't be used.

The "intense reptile basking bulb" will cause intense pyramiding.

Your questions are welcome. Fire away! :)
So I know for sure that I need the Che and where to get one. Are the water and food bowls not good? I thought they where shallow enough. I will get a digital hygrometer tomorrow and we are finishing the closed enclosure this weekend. What type of uvb and basking light do you recommend?

Garland
Also if the hide I have doesn’t work what do you recommend? I’ve seen other people use a dark plastic bowl and cut a hole in it. I’m a new tortoise owner and I have a lot to learn.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I know for sure that I need the Che and where to get one. Are the water and food bowls not good? I thought they where shallow enough. I will get a digital hygrometer tomorrow and we are finishing the closed enclosure this weekend. What type of uvb and basking light do you recommend?
I can't tell from the pics abut the food and water bowls, but the straight sides, concern me. The taller ramped ones are really bad, but yours might be okay for now.

The UV and lighting info is all spelled out in the care sheet.

Garland
I can't tell from the pics abut the food and water bowls, but the straight sides, concern me. The taller ramped ones are really bad, but yours might be okay for now.

The UV and lighting info is all spelled out in the care sheet.
Also if the hide I have doesn’t work what do you recommend? I’ve seen other people use a dark plastic bowl and cut a hole in it. I’m a new tortoise owner and I have a lot to learn. I’ve also read the care sheet 5-6 times I will read over the lighting portion again.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Also if the hide I have doesn’t work what do you recommend? I’ve seen other people use a dark plastic bowl and cut a hole in it. I’m a new tortoise owner and I have a lot to learn. I’ve also read the care sheet 5-6 times I will read over the lighting portion again.

Correct, a nice little hide made from a “Rubbermaid” type container work well.

Look Under Enclosures here in @Tom’s Guide

Sample pix of a “humid hide” courtesy of Primitive Predators:

31C3FE41-AC9E-497A-9D9B-A6A8158D193A.jpeg

Garland
Correct, a nice little hide made from a “Rubbermaid” type container work well.

Look Under Enclosures here in @Tom’s Guide

Sample pix of a “humid hide” courtesy of Primitive Predators:

View attachment 295132
Will do thank you