Any recommendations for my tortoise enclosure?

oliviachilton

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
Hi! I have a 2-3 month old sulcata tortoise and I recently found out his enclosure right now is WAY too small for him and I feel extremely bad. I found this bookshelf that my mom doesn’t really want anymore and I thought I could diy it into a tortoise enclosure. It is about 6ft x 3ft (not 100% sure how accurate that is.) Is that a good size for right now? I know I will still need to upgrade his enclosure a lot more when he grows older, but is it good for right now? Also, people were saying the lid i have right now is too “fine,” but I’m not too sure what that means. Any suggestions when making a lid for this enclosure. Also, another question, what kind and how many plants should I put in there? I want to make it as natural as possible :)

DJ Kirk

Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Many people on here know more about sulcatas than I do but I would think you need much larger than 6x3 - that's not even big enough for a adult redfoot let alone a sulcata. But for now it's probably OK until it grows. Most people put sulcatas outside with a night box.

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Many people on here know more about sulcatas than I do but I would think you need much larger than 6x3 - that's not even big enough for a adult redfoot let alone a sulcata. But for now it's probably OK until it grows. Most people put sulcatas outside with a night box.
Notice this is a 2 month old sulcata. 6x3 will be fine for the young stage, but you’ll need to convert that to a closed chamber. Read this care sheet...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi! I have a 2-3 month old sulcata tortoise and I recently found out his enclosure right now is WAY too small for him and I feel extremely bad. I found this bookshelf that my mom doesn’t really want anymore and I thought I could diy it into a tortoise enclosure. It is about 6ft x 3ft (not 100% sure how accurate that is.) Is that a good size for right now? I know I will still need to upgrade his enclosure a lot more when he grows older, but is it good for right now? Also, people were saying the lid i have right now is too “fine,” but I’m not too sure what that means. Any suggestions when making a lid for this enclosure. Also, another question, what kind and how many plants should I put in there? I want to make it as natural as possible :)
Please give this a read. All the info your need including the housing info is in here:

oliviachilton

Louisiana
Notice this is a 2 month old sulcata. 6x3 will be fine for the young stage, but you’ll need to convert that to a closed chamber. Read this care sheet...

Thank you so much! I will definitely read it! :) Also, when you say closed chamber, what exactly do you mean? Sorry I’m not too sure of all of these words since this is my first tortoise ever and I don’t want to think it means one thing then get it totally wrong :)

oliviachilton

Louisiana
Please give this a read. All the info your need including the housing info is in here:

Thank you so much!

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Thank you so much! I will definitely read it! :) Also, when you say closed chamber, what exactly do you mean? Sorry I’m not too sure of all of these words since this is my first tortoise ever and I don’t want to think it means one thing then get it totally wrong :)
A closed chamber is used to keep humidity in, the top is usually covered. Tortoises need high humidity 85%+ to prevent pyramiding, the higher the better. Try to achieve 100% if possible, that care sheet will explain closed chambers. If you don’t use a bookshelf I would recommend a grow tent, they are large and work very well.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WK3Q372/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

oliviachilton

Louisiana

oliviachilton

Louisiana
Grow tents work great! Just a few tweaks and your good to go! Her are both of mine just so you have an idea. Too is my leopards, bottom is my redfoots. These are 6ft x 3ft

View attachment 305562
View attachment 305564
View attachment 305565
Thank you so much for the picture! It helps a lot! Would you happen to know of a grow tent that is large enough for a sulcata until it’s about one year old? :) if not that’s totally okay! Thank you for the suggestion!

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Thank you so much for the picture! It helps a lot! Would you happen to know of a grow tent that is large enough for a sulcata until it’s about one year old? :) if not that’s totally okay! Thank you for the suggestion!

Yea, there are all kinds of options. The 6x3 should work for the first year though id think.

Take a peak at this. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DXYMKIO/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Grow tents are much cheaper and larger than other temporary options, but you do have to tweak them a bit to work for our purposes because of the humidity we need. My leopards would be a good template for you to think about though since the environment is the same. If you decide to go that route there are a few of us on here that use these and we can help you get the right stuff to set it up ? and help walk you through it.

oliviachilton

Louisiana
Yea, there are all kinds of options. The 6x3 should work for the first year though id think.

Take a peak at this. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DXYMKIO/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Grow tents are much cheaper and larger than other temporary options, but you do have to tweak them a bit to work for our purposes because of the humidity we need. My leopards would be a good template for you to think about though since the environment is the same. If you decide to go that route there are a few of us on here that use these and we can help you get the right stuff to set it up ? and help walk you through it.

Thank you ? I will definitely consider this when thinking about which enclosure I will choose! :)