Any parrotlet owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
meet "Mississippi Blue"
'Sippi for short.
k0jbk9.jpg

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
He's Beautiful! I love the name to. Are you going to get him a girlfriend? Maybe hatch some eggs?

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Nice bird, Josh. I'm allergic to most things with feathers and furs but I love birds and their singing in general. So glad I have reptiles and they are relatively low maintenance. I keep trying to get my crested geckos to chirp but they look at me just curiously sometimes with a side glance LOL.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Josh said:
I was introduced to two parrotlets yesterday and I fell in love. Do any of you have any experience with these birds? Tell me everything!

Hi Josh, Nice litte feather friend you have! Even cooler seeing the " top dog" ...digging a feathered friend. They are a fun addition to the torts' for sure. Seems a few members know their stuff. I have had a few of these back in the days, they are neat little birds. As some folks mentioned and one I will stress, he will be a better partner for you if he remains solo. Most parrot types mate for life! They can get a little nippy if kept as pairs(especially mating time) . Although their bite isn’t too severe it can make you jump. Training these birds is usually done with positive reinforcement (a treat helps too) with the tone of your voice and a few select words , words that you will use through-out the birds life. They are smart little guys and know when they are bad…or good and recognize your tone! Sometimes they can be a bit nervous acting but slowly introduce him to lots of activity for instance going to the grocery store. New surroundings make them nervous , but if he knows you’re their “ for real” not just a 10 min pickup couple times a day, he will feel safe and usually these guys can make great lil “ shoulder birds” . Many happy times ahead…they are wonderful companions ( as much as we all love are torts) my Dad…recently said to me Ya the torts are cool , but what do they do? I still crack up at this. The bird will give you much more entertainment/love but also requires it 2x back! My pride N joy aside from my Torts is “ Sally Girl”. The most incredible parrot (actually she is a cockatoo) I’ve ever owned. In short she is my best friend, companion and she thinks … mate for life. She loves working in the yard with me and the torts too! Even had her first egg the other day ! ! I was stunned….to say the least .She has never been with a male and I don’t plan on breeding her. Enjoy your new feathered friend..
JD
The Torts’
And Sally 2~
P1010024.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.