Any other suggestions on my indoor enclosure???

spoilers

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Ohio
So, i currently got my first big full time job and am waiting on my pay check (the whole 3 weeks no pay because you're new thing so you wait for a big check) this week to go all out on my indoor enclosure and fix a bunch of things i don't like or that scares me. Winter is coming soon so he can't stay outside during the day for much longer.

Right now my main focus is making the walls and railings A LOT taller since my fully grown redfoot is almost able to climb out and i don't want him to fall from the 2nd story either, that would be HORRIBLE! For now i put stuff in the way as railing and he seems uninterested in the 2nd story anyway so it's been fine but still scares me.

Next im planning on making it a closed chamber by adding a large frame and a cover since keeping the whole room at 80% humidity is a HUGE pain and really hard to do.

I'm waiting for my new uvb light in the mail as we speak because I know i have the bad one that "is bad for their eyes" and im also going to get a heat lamp with no light since redfoots don't care for basking.

Other than that my current enclosure is 6ft by 4 ft with a 2x4 second story for extra space. I use coco coir, coco husk, cypress mix, have a large water tray, a HUGE hide (under the 2nd story and ramp), and tortoise safe plants.

Any other suggestions on adding to this would be great! I just want to make sure he'll be ok over the long Ohio winter that's coming. I can't wait to finally fix this thing up and get it where it needs to be.20181008_202134.jpeg20181008_202119.jpeg20181008_202059.jpeg

Relic

Here
Yeah, I might worry a bit with the low sides on top - especially since it seems a bit narrow for a full grown RF to turn around up there. Be nice to see a photo of him in the enclosure to get a better idea of scale. I've got a young YF and will have to jump to a larger indoor habitat in the next few years, so I try to look at all the ones posted here for ideas.

spoilers

5 Year Member
Southwest Ohio
Yeah, I might worry a bit with the low sides on top - especially since it seems a bit narrow for a full grown RF to turn around up there. Be nice to see a photo of him in the enclosure to get a better idea of scale. I've got a young YF and will have to jump to a larger indoor habitat in the next few years, so I try to look at all the ones posted here for ideas.
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. Like I said I'm definitely making all the sides on top and bottom a LOT taller this week, it's the most concerning thing to me out of the whole setup i have (the last thing I need is a flipped tortoise).

I don't have a picture of him on the top or any really good ones showing scale since he is usually in his hide when i get home from work but I'll post a picture that might show some scale... Right now he has just enough room to turn around with no trouble on the top level. I might extend it from 2ft x 4ft to 4x4 just in case it becomes an issue though.

I only need this enclosure to last a few years as a winter and cold night enclosure, eventually I'm going to move and give him something at least twice that size! For now i just don't have anymore indoor space to go bigger than 8x4.

On the plus side he gets a nice sized garden during the summer and warm days.20180916_185637.jpeg