Any ones sulcata hatchling do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Hang out with their arms on the edge of the pool?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 174

tortle

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
I think it's trying to get out and just can't get any further... Lol

jason g.

5 Year Member
Lol yep little climbers. He needs higher escape proof walls I guess. Lol such a cutie

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
Haha reminds me of my 3 week old harchlings when i first took them home, they would always try to escape everything but now theyre smarter haha and they now stay put, but they still try to get out of there outdoor pen and guess what, the biggest one found a way out! Haha i put it back in the pen and 5 minutes later it was outside again laying down, theyre pretty amazing little guys, take care of it he seems pretty lively and those little grumpy faces are too funny haha

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
I thought it was pretty funny too. I usually use the computer while keeping an eye on him soak, I looked down and laughed, hoped he did it again for a picture. At least he was smart enough to not try lifting his legs up and out. (Even though I would have grabbed him)

Just their grumpy faces crack me up too. On another note i just walked in on him chomping the side of his hide log, climbed over the top, and slid down the decline like a slide.

I look forward to this weirdo getting older and wiser.... Im sure he'll develop a unique personality.

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
Yea haha they have the greatest expresion for a tortoise, its like theyre grumpy for everything, grumpy when they wake, grumpy when they eat etc... Yea i love how they all get different personalities, i have 4 and one is the escape artist the other is the follower of the escape artist, another is the gentle giant and the smaller one is the not so timid sleeper, eats and sleeps and sun bathes, they all are learning to trust me and its just awesome!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mine don't do this when I use the right size soaking tub... :D

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Biff Malibu said:
About 3-4 months.

Aww, about how big is he (just trying to make sure the age estimate I was given was some what correct) mine is estimated to be >2 weeks and he's about 3 inches.

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
mine is about 3 inches as well. Im no expert on accurate age estimates, but I think with younger hatchlings (weeks/months) that shell growth is a better measure than size.

jason g.

5 Year Member
Biff Malibu said:
mine is about 3 inches as well. Im no expert on accurate age estimates, but I think with younger hatchlings (weeks/months) that shell growth is a better measure than size.

Agreed I was told mine was 5 months when I got her and by the way her shell growth was I would say she was older. She was pyramided quite a bit for 5 months and she was only 3 inches.In the next 5 months that i had her she doubled in size and now she's staying at 5.5" and beefing up big time. She's not growing in diameter but she's getting some girth!!

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
jason g. said:
Agreed I was told mine was 5 months when I got her and by the way her shell growth was I would say she was older. She was pyramided quite a bit for 5 months and she was only 3 inches.In the next 5 months that i had her she doubled in size and now she's staying at 5.5" and beefing up big time. She's not growing in diameter but she's getting some girth!!

Wow, that's great =) mine still has his egg tooth, I guess that's how they estimated his age. How long does this egg tooth stay on?

Biff Malibu said:
mine is about 3 inches as well. Im no expert on accurate age estimates, but I think with younger hatchlings (weeks/months) that shell growth is a better measure than size.[/QUOTE/]

That's how big his shell is, I didn't measure from his head, am I supposed to? Sorry, I know this should probably be common knowledge, but I'm very nervous since he's so young and he's my first. I want to make sure I know any and everything I possibly can about this little guy =) I don't want to lose him due to my mistake, I already love him so much, and I've only had him a week today lol.

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
I believe you measure its plastron as the standard reference.

Im sure you'll take care of it just fine. Make sure to soak every day until it gets a bit older, feed it a varied diet and supplement with calcium.

Status
Not open for further replies.