Any one in California get these little lizards and toads

bryson white

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
hello i think these are some of the coolest little wild lizards in California they are common side blotched lizards and western toads i have had both of them as pets but the toads i have recently just go my hands on some and the lizards in my yard were coming up and licking him. i just thought it was the funniest thing.
treefrogs_16w.jpg
UTASTA-M.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wish I had them in my back yard. Not going to happen here in Chicago. Enjoy, your lucky to have them. Love the colors on the lizard, very pretty.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Are your lizards getting high on toad licking ?

We have had a couple of big toads like this in our yard but haven't seen the lizards like yours.
We have lizards like this sometimes. No toad licking.

disk 1 2502.JPG

Reactions: Rue

bryson white

5 Year Member
Southern California
Are your lizards getting high on toad licking ?

We have had a couple of big toads like this in our yard but haven't seen the lizards like yours.
We have lizards like this sometimes. No toad licking.

View attachment 178346
No but i thought that i would see lizards running in circles. i had one of those blue belly lizards as a pet for a little bit but i let it go they are a special treat if i get to see one.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I get spade footed toads by the dozens every summer, but there is no water anywhere near me. That lizard species does not look familiar to me. I'm not sure if that one occurs in my area or not.

You say the lizards are licking the toad? Sometimes people make a joke, and I don't get it. Are you joking? The toads are nocturnal and the lizards diurnal, so when are these lizards licking these toads?

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
I get spade footed toads by the dozens every summer, but there is no water anywhere near me. That lizard species does not look familiar to me. I'm not sure if that one occurs in my area or not.

You say the lizards are licking the toad? Sometimes people make a joke, and I don't get it. Are you joking? The toads are nocturnal and the lizards diurnal, so when are these lizards licking these toads?

Toad licking...not joking. In some places there are toxic toads and if you are stupid enough to lick them it gives you a high. Never tried it myself, don't intend to.

Reactions: Rue

Rue

Canada
Think the lizards are 'tasting' the toads to see if they are toxic or not?

I remember the last time one of our dogs picked on up...

Talk about foaming at the mouth!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Toad licking...not joking. In some places there are toxic toads and if you are stupid enough to lick them it gives you a high. Never tried it myself, don't intend to.

Oh, I've heard of stupid humans licking toads, but lizards are another story. Those lizards are small enough to be eaten by those toads, so I don't think they would approach one. Plus there is the whole nocturnal toad, diurnal lizard thing...

bryson white

5 Year Member
Southern California

no one of the lizards came up to one of the toads and licked it to see if it its food. I have the toads in a cage in my garage and the lizard came up to it when i brought the toad outside at 6:30 pm