Any landscaping tips?

godzilla90fan

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
Hey guys. I have a very active box turtle, he loves to dig and burrow. Hes pretty much always digging (for worms and fun I believe), basking in his pool, or sleeping. I love to watch him do this, but it makes it very difficult to keep living plants in his habitat. So I guess I have two questions from there.
1) Does he really NEED living plants? He has a cave from petsmart, and moss from outside (clear of pests I hope, I practically drowned it in water for an hour)
2) If he does, is there anything that might root well enough to not get toppled 10 times a day?

Thanks for any help guys.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. Is this an indoor or outdoor enclosure and what size.? They don’t absolutely NEED live plants, but live plants help them feel more with their natural areas. Ferns and pothos hanging down into an enclosure help. They really like to self soak & be in moist areas. Make sure you have a nice sunken watering trough.

godzilla90fan

North Carolina
Greetings. Is this an indoor or outdoor enclosure and what size.? They don’t absolutely NEED live plants, but live plants help them feel more with their natural areas. Ferns and pothos hanging down into an enclosure help. They really like to self soak & be in moist areas. Make sure you have a nice sunken watering trough.
Until the winter he is in a fairly large enclosure on our porch (about 4 by 4), but he prefers to stick to two areas almost entirely, basking in his water or in his cave (both from petsmart, the smooth ones made for box turtles).

He has a smaller enclosure inside for eating and bad weather, and he does the same stuff, hangs in about 2 spots, or burrows like digdug

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
if you can give him/her access to the natural ground , sun and shade i doubt you have anything he'd consider bad weather in north carolina .... and it would take care of the plant issues also .....