Any help appreciated

nichola_johnson

Location (City and/or State)
STOKE-ON-TRENT
After advice the other day of how to set up my enclosure better and a more varied diet. The plants have arrived today and seeds to grow. I've checked all the names on tortoise table so know are safe or in moderation. These were brought from a tortoise company not garden centre.

I know to put the spider plants into vivarium for cover.

My question is do I just pot them and place around so can be removed when cleaning?

The cuttle bone do I just place anywhere?

Is there somewhere specific to put the moss for best use?IMG_20211106_105421.jpgIMG_20211106_105412.jpgIMG_20211106_105406.jpg16361971127324199331518328479204.jpg16361971328352662954524874249220.jpg16361971486366495331639429215025.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. Nice collection of plants. Just a few things - most people here would recommend that you not use the sphagnum moss. Reportedly many torts will nibble & eat it, possibly causing impaction.

Just remember, the more plants you put inside, the less surface area your tort has to walk about. Most folks would just sink the pot down into the substrate. This way you can easily remove to replace with another. I think I would put a few in & keep a few outside growing. If & when the ones in the tank get trampled, eaten or die you have others to pop in.

Ps - what kind of tort?

nichola_johnson

STOKE-ON-TRENT
Greetings. Nice collection of plants. Just a few things - most people here would recommend that you not use the sphagnum moss. Reportedly many torts will nibble & eat it, possibly causing impaction.

Just remember, the more plants you put inside, the less surface area your tort has to walk about. Most folks would just sink the pot down into the substrate. This way you can easily remove to replace with another. I think I would put a few in & keep a few outside growing. If & when the ones in the tank get trampled, eaten or die you have others to pop in.

Ps - what kind of tort?
Yes I don't plan to put them all in, I was just advised to add some so brought some sets from a website in the UK. It's a RF. The rest will go in kitchen window sill to grow for food or just make my kitchen look prettier ?. OK I will leave the moss out then it came as part of the growing kit

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would recommend keeping an eye on him closely with the hide you have. It looks easy to climb. Some torts will climb and fall/go over the side and end up on their backs and a lot can't right themselves. If you notice this replace the hide with something that's smooth sided or straight sides so he can't climb it.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
After advice the other day of how to set up my enclosure better and a more varied diet. The plants have arrived today and seeds to grow. I've checked all the names on tortoise table so know are safe or in moderation. These were brought from a tortoise company not garden centre.

I know to put the spider plants into vivarium for cover.

My question is do I just pot them and place around so can be removed when cleaning?

The cuttle bone do I just place anywhere?

Is there somewhere specific to put the moss for best use?View attachment 335722View attachment 335723View attachment 335724View attachment 335725View attachment 335726View attachment 335727
Hello!
I have some plants hanging from the “ceiling” of my Russian’s enclosure. They don’t take up any real estate, but add interest and help with humidity. The trailing/vine plants work especially well. An added benefit is that they are available for nibbling and cover, but can’t get bulldozed. The Tradescantia (upper right in your photo if you don’t know plants) is especially good for hanging. Your spider plant is also a great candidate!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hello!
I have some plants hanging from the “ceiling” of my Russian’s enclosure. They don’t take up any real estate, but add interest and help with humidity. The trailing/vine plants work especially well. An added benefit is that they are available for nibbling and cover, but can’t get bulldozed. The Tradescantia (upper right in your photo if you don’t know plants) is especially good for hanging. Your spider plant is also a great candidate!

Yes. All good ideas and thats the advantage to having a nice large enclosure. All kinds of possibilities to expand the zone.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It's a good bet that the plants will get trampled if placed near the perimeters of the enclosure.
Tortoises usually pace around the perimeter.
I'd plant them in the center. Making that spot a nice little place for hiding and resting.
And I'd get rid of that log hut. It's just dangerous as already mentioned.

nichola_johnson

STOKE-ON-TRENT
It's a good bet that the plants will get trampled if placed near the perimeters of the enclosure.
Tortoises usually pace around the perimeter.
I'd plant them in the center. Making that spot a nice little place for hiding and resting.
And I'd get rid of that log hut. It's just dangerous as already mentioned.
What is a better alternative for a hide then?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
What is a better alternative for a hide then?
The plant cover itself.
Or a box type structure. Even a flower pot buried half way into the substrate with the center scooped out so that the top doesnt sit very high above the substrate level, with the substrate ramped down into it. This way the little tort can still climb inside it.
All gradual, smooth slopes.

nichola_johnson

STOKE-ON-TRENT
The plant cover itself.
Or a box type structure. Even a flower pot buried half way into the substrate with the center scooped out so that the top doesnt sit very high above the substrate level, with the substrate ramped down into it. This way the little tort can still climb inside it.
All gradual, smooth slopes.
That's great thanks I'm going out tomorrow to get some terracotta pots for the plants so will get an extra one for gide and going try get a terracotta tray for water

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
That's great thanks I'm going out tomorrow to get some terracotta pots for the plants so will get an extra one for gide and going try get a terracotta tray for water
Terra cotta holds up very well for this purpose.
It also keeps nails and beaks trimmed.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Planting pots burried into the substrate are fantastic hides. My torts love to hide inside and rest their little heads outside the hole for support.

I prefer fake plants. I got a few reptile fake plant decor burried it into the substrate and it acts as another type of hide for both my torts.

nichola_johnson

STOKE-ON-TRENT
We decided to buy a bigger viv and then add some plants

Attachments

• IMG_20211111_233711.jpg
    IMG_20211111_233711.jpg
    778.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20211111_232123.jpg
    IMG_20211111_232123.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20211111_232050.jpg