Any Cyclist here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penn

5 Year Member
Racing, road, track, touring, cyclocross, commuter, MTB, urban cyclist, any here? Cycling is my other obsession. I have a lot of bikes but the 2 I ride most is my single speed Cinelli cyclocross and my TIME road bike. What do you ride and how often?

marginatawhisperer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sweden
Hi. Nice to meet a fellow bikefreak.
My wife and I have 10-12 bikes, nothing special, good medium bikes.
One tandem, upgraded with Schwalbe tires, special racks and rollerbearing steering column (Stronglight).
One cheap, upgraded folding bike 20 inch wheels for each. One racing bike each for road and one mountain bike each.
Then assorted restoration projects, an old 1960 swedish bike from childhood of wife etc..I am doing about 500 miles amonth right now, hoping to continue.
One electric bike donated to daughter in law, to help her going uphill in Norway, big succes! She now does 10 miles a day, using engine less and less.
Most of my upgrading centers on tires and working position.
I need to do speed training, getting a bit slow.

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Hey! Great to see other cyclists on here! My hubby is a (mostly) road biker...he runs a website called www.lovingthebike.com. He rides at least 20 miles 5x a week on his road bike, and commutes to our business, as well as leading tours. We recently moved to the Caribbean to open a bicycle cafe....it's just a little coffee shop with a "bike" theme! :) We rent bikes, do tours and repairs.

I just have a cruiser, but am planning on getting more into mountain biking, since we have the bikes for our shop anyway.

We're hoping to get to the Interbike conference in Vegas again this year (we're registered, but flights from where I live are pricey...especially with a new business here)...hubby is interested in getting into cyclocross...I just want to look at all the new, shiny bikes...I actually want to get a handmade bike (preferably from the company Naked Bikes from Quadra Island).

Before moving to the Caribbean, we lived in Austin, TX, where our life also revolved around bikes! :)

zulu

5 Year Member
Melbourne, FL
Wow, bike talk on a tort fourm. My two favorite things. I can't believe someone else has those same two random hobbies. I just got a new road bike, a trek 2.1, since my last one was stolen out of my garage.

marginatawhisperer

5 Year Member
Sweden
:)You will not regret learning it, but take an experienced friend along. Remember: 60-80 full pedal rounds pr minute will keep you rolling.

Penn

5 Year Member
marginatawhisperer said:
Hi. Nice to meet a fellow bikefreak.
My wife and I have 10-12 bikes, nothing special, good medium bikes.
One tandem, upgraded with Schwalbe tires, special racks and rollerbearing steering column (Stronglight).
One cheap, upgraded folding bike 20 inch wheels for each. One racing bike each for road and one mountain bike each.
Then assorted restoration projects, an old 1960 swedish bike from childhood of wife etc..I am doing about 500 miles amonth right now, hoping to continue.
One electric bike donated to daughter in law, to help her going uphill in Norway, big succes! She now does 10 miles a day, using engine less and less.
Most of my upgrading centers on tires and working position.
I need to do speed training, getting a bit slow.

Wow that's some collection, I would love to see pictures of the 1960 Swedish bike. The one classic bike I have is a rare Japanese bike called Araya, it's a race bike from early 70's I believe. I picked it up from a garage sale and it's completely brand spanking new. Comes with original suede saddle and suede bartape, complete with all First Edition Dura Ace components. I got it for $300 LOL. I was already offered $1,600 at a bike shop but I turned the guy down. Thanks for responding and it's nice to meet you. I hope you can update me with some photos of your project bikes.

sunshine_hugs said:
Hey! Great to see other cyclists on here! My hubby is a (mostly) road biker...he runs a website called www.lovingthebike.com. He rides at least 20 miles 5x a week on his road bike, and commutes to our business, as well as leading tours. We recently moved to the Caribbean to open a bicycle cafe....it's just a little coffee shop with a "bike" theme! :) We rent bikes, do tours and repairs.

I just have a cruiser, but am planning on getting more into mountain biking, since we have the bikes for our shop anyway.

We're hoping to get to the Interbike conference in Vegas again this year (we're registered, but flights from where I live are pricey...especially with a new business here)...hubby is interested in getting into cyclocross...I just want to look at all the new, shiny bikes...I actually want to get a handmade bike (preferably from the company Naked Bikes from Quadra Island).

Before moving to the Caribbean, we lived in Austin, TX, where our life also revolved around bikes! :)

Oh my gosh! You guys have my dream job. I too live the same life style EVERYTHING BIKES even our mailbox. I thought about opening a bicycle cafe here in Pasadena CA. quite often but building lease here is ridiculous. I've gone to Interbike the past 3 years but I'm not going to the next one. My best friend Christopher Cono, a cyclist was killed in crash during a Crit race a little more than 2 months ago on Memorial Day. He works at Velos Pasadena and usually takes me with him. Right now there's a hole in my heart that I just can't fill, I miss him everyday. I will check out your husband's website and maybe he can help promote Chris' fundraiser. He left behind a wife and a 2 year old boy name Cadence. Continue to enjoy your life style and I will live vicariously through you. Thanks for responding.

zulu said:
Wow, bike talk on a tort fourm. My two favorite things. I can't believe someone else has those same two random hobbies. I just got a new road bike, a trek 2.1, since my last one was stolen out of my garage.

Hi nice to meet you! It's totally crazy right? One hobbie is FAST and the other is super slow LOL. That's terrible your bike got stolen, I totally feel your pain although your new bike is totally awesome, enjoy it!!! Thanks for responding.

Jd3

5 Year Member
I flip old bikes for fun. Just got a 78 Raleigh that is pristine.

I ride daily. For fun and commuting. My daily is a motobecane that I am in love with. I'll never buy a bike store bike again... The prices are insane. And I've owned specialized, giant and treks.

I've got a few MTb as well. Not much real use. Countless other project bikes in the garage... So many the cars park outside now....

Penn

5 Year Member
alysciaingram said:
I really should learn how to ride a bike.. LE sigh.

Do you remember what it was like as a kid when you learned to ride a bike or a skateboard? For me, it was my first real taste of freedom. The skateboard was my magic carpet, taking me to places that were previously out of reach or required parental participation. Cycling with my friends I had rediscovered that freedom. I was no longer confined by my petroleum-fueled prison. I could feel the wind flowing over me and see the world unobstructed. Please learn and give it a try, don't forget to wear a helmet :)

Jd3

5 Year Member
I've also got several Japanese and Korean bikes from the 70's. I really love them due to their 70's Japanese style mixed with popular common components. They have some funky parts from time to time. All the 70's bikes make easy SS conversions(I don't sell fixies though. That crap is suicide) which sell with the college kids for way more than they should...

I made my giant MTb from hs 16 years ago into a single speed and I love that thing. One break. No gear shifts. Easy peasy!

Right now most of my riding is done on a yellow motobecane with a velo orange leather saddle "brooks knock off- but still high quality"

Penn

5 Year Member
Jd3 said:
I flip old bikes for fun. Just got a 78 Raleigh that is pristine.

I ride daily. For fun and commuting. My daily is a motobecane that I am in love with. I'll never buy a bike store bike again... The prices are insane. And I've owned specialized, giant and treks.

I've got a few MTb as well. Not much real use. Countless other project bikes in the garage... So many the cars park outside now....

Nice JD!, I myself is commuter/weekend warrior. I'm a classic bike nerd, I've build and sold so many bikes and probably made no money doing it. I just like to customized it with components I like, ride it for a while then sell it.

marginatawhisperer

5 Year Member
Sweden
I will try soon to post pictures.
The old swedish bike is in VERY bad shape, rusty, front wheel missing, rear wheel can be restored, but tiresize probably out of production years ago.
The possibilities are: Get a suitable front wheel, then face problems with tires, or restore with new wheels and tires, slightly larger and easy rolling.
I opt for the last, in my experience old frames, if undamaged, are very well balanced and comfortable to ride on for hours.
I wonder how they did it. Not many europeans collect old bikes, but the swedes are beginning to collect their home produced now.
Perhaps I should visit a scrap heap in Norway then?

Penn

5 Year Member
Find a Cinelli Lazer for me please [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES][SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES][SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
sunshine_hugs said:

Oh my gosh! You guys have my dream job. I too live the same life style EVERYTHING BIKES even our mailbox. I thought about opening a bicycle cafe here in Pasadena CA. quite often but building lease here is ridiculous. I've gone to Interbike the past 3 years but I'm not going to the next one. My best friend Christopher Cono, a cyclist was killed in crash during a Crit race a little more than 2 months ago on Memorial Day. He works at Velos Pasadena and usually takes me with him. Right now there's a hole in my heart that I just can't fill, I miss him everyday. I will check out your husband's website and maybe he can help promote Chris' fundraiser. He left behind a wife and a 2 year old boy name Cadence. Continue to enjoy your life style and I will live vicariously through you. Thanks for responding.

Hey Penn....sorry, I'm just seeing this now. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend...what a terrible tragedy, just heartbreaking. Please don't hesitate to e-mail my hubby (Darryl), I'm sure he'd be more than willing to put a link up on his sight, and/or promote the fundraiser on social media. He has a pretty good following.

One of our closest friends from Austin, Al, started a non profit organization called "Please be kind to Cyclists", after he was hit by a car and survived (with some brain damage). He might also be able to help you out for your friends fundraiser. PM me if you want more info on him.

Anyway, yes, our Bicycle Cafe is an awesome little business to run...we're more about lifestyle than $$$, so it's just kind of fitting. We get to live in the Caribbean, and do what we love....at this moment, I couldn't ask for more. If you happen to want to check out our cafe, it's called Mocha Spoke...my hubby has a facebook account set up, and a we have a basic website. I'm supposed to be in charge of our blog, but I'm a little behind. Our busy season will be starting in about 10 days, so I have to get on it! :)

Enjoy your day!

Status
Not open for further replies.