any aquarists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
Anyone here keep an aquarium? I used to have a ton of different fish in up to 3 different tanks. I wish I still had room for a tank. I've been hearing a lot about nano reef tanks too which seem cool. I think I'm more of a freshwater guy though...

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I used to have tanks too Josh. :D None now though. I have though in the last year gotten into Bettas. I'm up to 11 now. :D 10 males and 1 female. I've gotten some nice males locally and just bought, at auction, a really nice double tailed super delta male. I'll try to get some pictures of some of them and post them.

Danny

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
i had a pair of bettas that spawned once. i remember videotaping the whole process and showing my family. they were amazed. something happened to the bubble nest and i didn't get any fry. it was still really cool to see though...

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I had several tanks before the housefire. When I get settled in my new house I'm planning on at least 3 120s (insurance is buying). One is going to be large neotropicals (oscars, silver dollars, ect.) to go with the RFs, one is for large asiatics (sharks, barbs, gouramis) to go with the burmese and stars, and one for native NA species to go with woods and boxes. Nothing like a weird linkage ha.

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma
josh said:
i had a pair of bettas that spawned once. i remember videotaping the whole process and showing my family. they were amazed. something happened to the bubble nest and i didn't get any fry. it was still really cool to see though...

Did you remove the female after spawning? I bred Bettas for five years, and eventually got out of all the aquariums I used to keep. I do keep one now, nothing like what I was into in the past though.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I use to have a few aquariums, then slowly they got moved out to create more room for reptiles. :rolleyes: Now the only fish I keep inside (besides a couple of bettas) are the ones that live with the turtles...at least until they are eaten.) Outside I keep minnows and goldfish in all the pools and the horse tanks.

As a kid I had good luck with my tropical fish, but as an adult, it seemed once stocked I could only keep the group going for about a year.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I too had tanks from the time I was a kid. I bred Angle fish for over a year. Now the last tank went to my daughter and she is raising mollys and guppys for tort food. I only have the 3 minnows (from the turtle tank - they wouldn't eat these three) and 1 goldfish in a small pond out back.

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
carolyn, i did remove the female... i remember her being in pretty poor shape.
i also kept a bunch of african cichlids like firemouths, convicts, and electric yellows. my firemouths spawned too. i came home from vacation one weekend to see all their eggs on an overturned flower pot. i was ecstatic! i have to keep myself from fish stores because im too tempted to get back into it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Years ago (in the '50's) I had a 50 gallon tank with a pair of convicts in it, along with several other, milder tempered fish. I had an ash tray in the shape of a frog, with a leaf on his lower lip where you placed your lit ciggy, and then the mouth was wide open with the ashes going inside the cavity. Well, I put that ash tray in the aquarium and the female convict took it over as her own. She had babies in there all the time. It was really fun to watch. The male kept all the other fish on one side of the tank, while mama had her babies either in her mouth or inside the frog. Sometimes I miss my aquarium, but then I remember all the times I had to drag it outside to give it a thorough cleaning and it kills that thought real fast!!

Yvonne

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma
josh said:
carolyn, i did remove the female... i remember her being in pretty poor shape.
i also kept a bunch of african cichlids like firemouths, convicts, and electric yellows. my firemouths spawned too. i came home from vacation one weekend to see all their eggs on an overturned flower pot. i was ecstatic! i have to keep myself from fish stores because im too tempted to get back into it.

Yes, that's not surprising...spawning is really tough on the females, and if not removed the male will kill her. Siamese fighting fish were the only egg layers I had much luck with....live bearers were easy to spawn. Our water is so alkaline here, and really hard to readjust for most egg laying species. I know what you mean about staying away from fish stores! I had aquariums for over 30 years when I got out of it. Like everyone else the routine of cleaning and managing water quality got to be a big job, not to mention I was running out of room for my aquariums:D

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ive had both salt and fresh. I am more of a planted fresh water tank guy. They arent as colorful but there is alot of awesome weird looking fish for fresh water. I really want to do it again but its alot of work. (and alot of money)

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
The only tank I have now is the 125 I keep the RES in. I had other tanks but they went away. tired of the cleaning and the fish dieing. I can't wait until I get my pond in the back then I will have no tanks, but hubby will have it instead. I have been thinking about getting another one to breed snails and fish for the turtles, but that hasn't happen yet.

sick_lids

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
ada, oklahoma
0016.jpg

red devil/midas

0015.jpg

RD and Jag

0006.jpg

fish.jpg

Oz the oscar

xyz016.jpg

pimp daddy the firemouth cichlid, RIP

u10n12004.jpg

HALLOWEEN011.jpg

GT the green terror

sushisurf13

10 Year Member!
Huntington Beach, CA
I've kept saltwater aquariums for years. I dont have one up now, but someday soon. I love my reef tanks!!

its a very cool but expensive hobby.[/u]

puredevonian

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
hi
ive kept tropical tanks for years, but last year i went on to having a 4 1/2 ft marine tank.
what a joy, hard work to start off with, but its paid off.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I had a fresh water aquariam for like 15 years when I was younger, but I don't have one right now I do want to get another one soon. My neighbor on the other hand had a salt water aquariam and he was a deep sea diver so he was always bringing the most interesting creatures for his tank, much better than anything I saw in the pet stores. I don't know how legal it was but it was pretty awesome to sit there and watch his creatures going about hteir business.

Status
Not open for further replies.