Any advice would be greatfully received

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

Location (City and/or State)
England,
Hi there. I’m new to all this. And I’m really excited to get my Redfoot tort next week. How ever I’m a little nervous at the same time. I want to make sure my torts home is all done and perfect before I pick her up. I was hoping for advice of best things to use. I’ve been told the humidity/rain maker machine is a good thing to invest in as they love high humidity. Does anyone use this and if so do you recommend?
for substrate I’ve chosen to go for the coconut fiber substrate for tropical terrarium.
I’m not sure if to get the 2 in one bulb for light as well as heat. Or just get a basking bulb and a UBV tube for the light. I have got 2/3 different hide outs for her. Aswell as a tort bathing bowl that is non tip. A friend mentioned to be about getting some kind of moss to add in the viv and a possible misting machine aswell as the humidity/rain maker but I’m not totally sure. I live in the UK. So temperatures here ain’t exactly great not even for this time of year so it will be an inside tort. If anyone could give me some advice on anything else I need before I get my girl I’d be highly greatful I want to give her the best start as possible and don’t want anything to go wrong. Thank you in advance.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello, and welcome to TFO!

The best place to start is to read our care sheet for redfoot. It explains how to set up your tortoise. How old is your tort? Hatchling or juvenile? Adult?

A big question is what kind of enclosure do you have for her? If she's a baby, she needs to live in a closed chamber so you have good control of the temps and humidity.

If housed in a closed chamber, you do not need a mister, humidity maker, fogger...nothing like that. You will make humidity by dampening the substrate. Also, do not use any kind of moss...many try to eat it and it is an impaction risk.

You want a UVB light. The UVB is a tube, like a fluorescent light. Redfoot are different from other tortoises in that they don't bask. They live in forests where the tree canopy filters the light, so they like the lighting to be dim. They hate bright light.

They do like to be very warm though, so you won't use lights for heat. You will need at least one CHE (ceramic heat emitter) which gives out heat but no light.

Read this care sheet, and come back with questions. We have lots of members who keep redfoot who will be happy to help you.