Any Advice. (inactive tortoise)

Linford

I've got two Torts i rescued" I've been led to believe are male and female. I have no idea of there age or if they where purchased from a good source. The bigger of the two ( ralph ) is really active and responsive. But ( Rosie ) the smaller (Female I think) doesnt do much at all. When I first got them they where together and Ralph constantly bit at her legs so we separated them and the next day she seemed to perk up a bit. But since then she's gone back to not eating much or doing much. Ralph reacts to shadows and movement, walks (surprisingly fast) everywhere, climbs vertically. There's not much he doesn't do, but Rosie is really slow, even when picked up she just stays with her legs sprawled out. Doesn't really respond even if I touch her head, hands etc.

I've took some pictures of her in the hope that someone will tell me that there's nothing to worry about she's just in shock at change of environment, or maybe got the Torty Flu. any suggestions on how to maybe perk her up a bit will be Much appreciated.

Thanks! L

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 43

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
They are Russian tortoises .They don't di well in pairs as you've seen . Mose in the market are wild caught so a trip to the vet to have them checked for parasites .

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
She might take a bit to get use to not being bullied. She should perk up once she gets use to her new digs and realizes that there is no threat. Try hand feeding her treats. She will get use to you. Glad you seperated them. Probably saved her life!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Have you only taken pictures of the one tortoise, or are they both shown in the pictures? The tortoise (s) in the picture is suffering from MBD, and is quite dehydrated. You didn't mention how you have the tortoises set up, but they both need to get some real sunshine. Feed them calcium-rich food with a calcium supplement lightly sprinkled over the food two or three times a week. Soak them in a tub of shallow water for at least 15 minutes daily for a couple of weeks, then you can get by with just having a waterer in their habitat.

You might not be able to keep these tortoises together unless you have a large, well-planted outdoor habitat for them. For sure, keeping them indoors in some sort of tub or viv is NOT going to work. They are going to fight and one is going to be picked on all the time.

Linford

Thanks Yvonne. The pictures are of just the one, ATM I keep them indoors overnight but have a small outdoor 'pen' for them. It's a temporary measure as I'm still in the process of building them a proper outdoor enclosure ( torts where not planned.. ) first thing in the morning I let them outside. As the sun brightens up I give em a run in the garden for a few hours and I do still have them separate. There's plenty of dandelion and stingy nettles in the garden and I pick the odd weed up for them for variety as well as a few salad leaves. They get the full days sun though I make sure there's good cool shade for them at all times. I will have to buy some calcium supplements ASAP. And also I have been bathing them every other day but she seems unresponsive to it. The other tort does his business every time I bathe him. She doesn't. I will bathe them daily see how she gets on. If there's anything else I can do. Please let me know.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
She's got a bad UVB deficiency... and she has pyramiding... do you know how the previous owner took care of them? I would take her a vet, they might give you something to help the MDB, like Yvonne said...