Ants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayday29150

5 Year Member
Huge ant problem. This is the first time ever I have had this but one of my groups of tortoise my yellows in one of the indoor pens with is part of my main house in a glassed in mud room (Florida or sun room) has gotten ants in it. Never had this issue before. Any suggest on why or how to treat to get rid of them with out risk to my babies.

Details. The room is 80 degrees 70% humidity. It is a wood pen 8 x 5 x2 UVA and UVB light Coco fiber substrate with some spang moss in corner on top as bedding. I will take some pics. 9 inch round water bowl and 9 inch round pan for food with I clear nightly I owe a produce store so my tortoise eat well. Cactus pad kale collard mustard Some fruit banana strawberry from time to time. And the spend time on the yard as weather permits. Any help would be appreciated as this is a new one for me.

Thanks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have read several times on other sites to spread corn meal or oat meal around the area you want them to stay out of.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I have read that diatomaceous earth is a non-toxic, naturally occurring substance that kills ants and other insects. It comes in different grades and is not expensive. It's important to get FOOD GRADE diatomaceous earth if you plan to use it in or close to your tortoise enclosure. I could only find the food grade stuff over the internet, but it arrived very quickly. I have used regular diatomaceous earth on fire ant mounds very successfully. I will be using the food grade stuff for the first time this year. If you do an Internet search it can explain about it much better than I can. Good luck!

Char

5 Year Member
jacksonville fl
Moozilion said:
I have read that diatomaceous earth is a non-toxic, naturally occurring substance that kills ants and other insects. It comes in different grades and is not expensive. It's important to get FOOD GRADE diatomaceous earth if you plan to use it in or close to your tortoise enclosure. I could only find the food grade stuff over the internet, but it arrived very quickly. I have used regular diatomaceous earth on fire ant mounds very successfully. I will be using the food grade stuff for the first time this year. If you do an Internet search it can explain about it much better than I can. Good luck!

I use human grade diatomaceous earth for several things including fire ants/ fleas in my back yard in the summer (I live in Jacksonville Fl) but you have to be careful with it around your tortoises it can get in their eyes and hurt them since it's very sharp it can scratch their eyes and dry them out..
I really wouldn't use it in the pen since it's not a bait the ants have to walk on it get cuts and die it would be hard to put it around and not have it bother your babies

Char

5 Year Member
jacksonville fl
mayday29150 said:
Huge ant problem. This is the first time ever I have had this but one of my groups of tortoise my yellows in one of the indoor pens with is part of my main house in a glassed in mud room (Florida or sun room) has gotten ants in it. Never had this issue before. Any suggest on why or how to treat to get rid of them with out risk to my babies.

Details. The room is 80 degrees 70% humidity. It is a wood pen 8 x 5 x2 UVA and UVB light Coco fiber substrate with some spang moss in corner on top as bedding. I will take some pics. 9 inch round water bowl and 9 inch round pan for food with I clear nightly I owe a produce store so my tortoise eat well. Cactus pad kale collard mustard Some fruit banana strawberry from time to time. And the spend time on the yard as weather permits. Any help would be appreciated as this is a new one for me.

Thanks.

I use human grade diatomaceous earth for several things including fire ants/ fleas in my back yard in the summer (I live in Jacksonville Fl) but you have to be careful with it around your tortoises it can get in their eyes and hurt them since it's very sharp it can scratch their eyes and dry them out..
I really wouldn't use it in the pen since it's not a bait the ants have to walk on it get cuts and die it would be hard to put it around and not have it bother your babies

Char

5 Year Member
jacksonville fl

Status
Not open for further replies.