Ants

Status
Not open for further replies.

pineapple

5 Year Member
Ants seem to have invaded my new outdoor enclosure. Any ideas on how to get rid of them without harming my Tortoise? I can't put him out there without them crawling all over him.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
look for the ants entry/exit points to the outdoor enclosure. you can make a boric acid/sugar water bait that will kill the colony and if placed outside the enclosure it will pose no threat to your tortoise.

or

a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar when sprayed on the ants will kill them. occasionally i do this in my outdoor pen. don't spray ants while your tortoise is in there. as far as i know the vinegar wont harm your tortoise but i prefer to spray them when the pen is empty.

hope this helps. good luck.

Katherine

5 Year Member
What kind of ants are plaguing you? We get fireants frequently here and swear by "Anti Fuego" its a Garden-Ville Fire Ant & Insect Control re-labeled as Anti Fuego Soil Conditioner and has totally knocked out the problem for us with harm to our tortoises, chickens or mammals :) occasionally we will see a nest starting but one treatment stops it in its tracks.

pineapple

5 Year Member
Great ideas! I'm not sure what type of ants they are. They are blackish red in color. I try a bit of everything. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.