Ants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Does anyone have any good methods for getting rid of ants that is tortoise safe? I thought I read in a thread awhile back about using diatomaceous earth, we use that around our house to keep the scorpions out, is that safe for tortoises?

and as far as I know they are just carpenter ants. Little black ones that itch when they bite.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Neal Butler said:
Does anyone have any good methods for getting rid of ants that is tortoise safe? I thought I read in a thread awhile back about using diatomaceous earth, we use that around our house to keep the scorpions out, is that safe for tortoises?

and as far as I know they are just carpenter ants. Little black ones that itch when they bite.

Go to< dirtworks.net >and check it out, A lot of information there about diatomaceous earth.

OurZoo

5 Year Member
Glendora, CA
Neal Butler said:

We use food grade DE for just about everything and everywhere. In the chicken coops, runs, and in their nest boxes. We started from day one and none of the hens have ever had any undesireable critters.
I started using the DE, this summer, around the outside of the tort and turtle pens and around (not on) the pavers that their food is served on, when ants became a problem. So far so good.
We even put it on some of the piles-o-poop to help with eradicating flies.
Heck, there are people who actually mix the food grade powder with water or juice and drink it themselves - no, I don't know why - but from some testimonials I've read they swear by it. :rolleyes:

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Where do you get this stuff? Home Depot or the grocery store?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Thanks for the web site. Where can you get food grade DE? We've always used the stuff you get a Lowe's in the pool section.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I use plain old chalk, and I have for years. I use it mainly in the house bit I have used it outside with good success.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Is it just for ants or other bugs. I know I will need to stop my bug ( killing) service and am looking for a tort safe solution.

OurZoo

5 Year Member
Glendora, CA
Take a look at www.wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com when on their website look under "Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Facts & Information". They give an understandable explanation of where it comes from, why its safe to use, and what it helps control.
One of the highlights is that Food Grade DE works in a purely physical/mechanical manner - no chemical toxicity.:) I buy 25 lbs and put it a lidded plastic bucket (kept dry it has an unlimited shelf life) & in the bucket I also keep a flour sifter then go around sifting everything in sight (well, not EVERYTHING!).:D

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Get it at the feed store, where ever they sell hay and horse supplies.

Status
Not open for further replies.