Ants! What to do?

Cynthia

5 Year Member
I have half an acre fenced off for Lumpy, my Sulcata. It's been a pretty cold winter for us down here in southeast Texas. He's been in the house during this spell the last week. Today warmed to 70 and was beautiful and sunny. I took him out to sun and eat grass when I noticed several fire ant piles. My question is what can I use on them in his enclosure? I use a light sevin dust in my box turtle enclosure but they don't graze. He has plenty of space and may never come in contact with the ants or poison but I just can't take that chance. I would so appreciate any help on this matter. Thanks! Cynthia

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
When I lived in texas I would actually dig the beds out then drown the hole.. Dig down about 2.5 feet down. Put the soil in a trash can with wheels then while you are running water in the hole drag the can away and spray the ants down with raid. Work fast though cause you will get bit. Have everything thing you need ready. Then after you drown the hole out really well apply fresh dirt

Also fire ants hate water. Sprinkle the yard every day after they are gone

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Oh boy! This subject has been covered A LOT! here on the Forum. Go to the top of any page and type in "ants" in the Google Custom Search box. It comes back with quite a few pages of links for threads here on the Forum.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
I spread DE on my ant beds and then sprinkled it around the area (much smaller than yours though) and I have not had ants in 6 months. Make sure, as stated above, that it is food grade from a feed store or tractor supply place. Place liberally on the ant bed and then stir up the ants. This will get rid of all the soldiers and workers then you can safely dig up or flood out the queen,

argus333

5 Year Member
d e works for me every time, safe for u and tortoise.