Antibiotics Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

FourTortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, FL
Hey All,

I've heard a lot of forum members who have had Baytril administered to their tortoises when they are sick, and I wanted to know your experiences with it. The reason I ask is I have a 20 pound or so Sulcata who has developed a respiratory infection over the past week. We rescued him about a month ago from some one who wasn't taking very good care of him and we just thought he was a heavy breather. As of earlier this week, he's had a slightly runny nose so I think he's developing a respiratory infection.

I spoke to my vet when I went to take one of my other tortoises in for a check up, but I wanted to know what our options were regarding antibiotics. We tried keeping him warm and even turned the shower on with hot water in the bathroom so that he was exposed to a humid environment. (we didn't put him in the hot water) Although we soaked him in warm water daily.

Being experienced tortoise owners, would you medicate them yourselves with antibiotics? Or would you seek professional advice from a vet if you already knew what it was? Is there anything you could recommend for his size that would be effective, or any antibiotics that we could put into his food?

Thanks!

Monica

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
you will need to get the meds from a Vet. and get the proper dosage or it wont do any good.
If he is still eating and acting normal. id just keep him warm and watch him.
If you want Rx, when i had to treat mine, they were still eating, and I used pills and stuck them in strawberries and bananas, tomatoes.. and they ate them right down no problem..
You definately want to keep him away from your others.. if it is a URI, he can give it too all your others..

FourTortoise

5 Year Member
Miami, FL
Thanks Laura,

He's still eating very well thankfully, but he hasn't gotten any better so I think I'd rather just put him on the Rx. Hopefully I can just call the vet and get the meds with his proper weight. I'd prefer the tablets or injecting the food with it since it would be easier to administer. Thanks for the advice!

-Mo

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
If you have a Good relationship with your Vet, or this tort has been in recently.. you might get it by calling in.. Its usually pills twice daily for 10 days. Or injectable if they arent eating.. but there are other drugs too.. some work better then others. Sometimes it pays to have a culture done of the mucus to see what drug is best or If its even a infection.

Status
Not open for further replies.