Antibiotic injection

Tabby0318

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi,
My little Tabby's eye was getting worse and she was breathing heavy, with a snotty nose.
I took her to my usual vet, but she was see by another vet. As we are not allowed to go in, I explained what the problem was and he took her inside. 15mins later he brought her out and told me he had given her a antibiotic injection. I am not happy about this as he didn't consult me first. Last time she needed antibiotics I was given tablets and a liquid. I told him I didn't want her to have another injection, she is 80years old and didn't want to put her through the stress. I have requested the liquid to give her.

She is now just sitting with me, head down, not moving much. She has her left front leg tucked in and won't move it. Is this normal after an injection?

Really worried about her ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some antibiotics are pretty harsh and cause pain at the injection site. Nothing to do but wait it out and soak, soak, soak!

Tabby0318

5 Year Member
England
Some antibiotics are pretty harsh and cause pain at the injection site. Nothing to do but wait it out and soak, soak, soak!
Thanks, she is sort of shuffling in a circle, but not lifting her head. I will keep a very close eye on her this evening and see how she is tomorrow.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks, she is sort of shuffling in a circle, but not lifting her head. I will keep a very close eye on her this evening and see how she is tomorrow.
Which antibiotic did they use?

Did they do anything to address the CAUSE of the sickness? That is the problem that needs to be solved. Medicating symptoms without discovering and correcting the primary issue is pointless, ineffective, harmful, and expensive.

Tabby0318

5 Year Member
England
Which antibiotic did they use?

Did they do anything to address the CAUSE of the sickness? That is the problem that needs to be solved. Medicating symptoms without discovering and correcting the primary issue is pointless, ineffective, harmful, and expensive.
They gave her a Baytril injection. I was annoyed because they didn't consult me first. They want her back in in 2 days for another injection, but I refused and have the Baytril liquid instead, which I have had before. Her eye problem has been going on for 3 years, but always seems to flare up with the warmer weather. He said it looks like a growth on her third eyelid may be causing issue when she blinks to clear dust. I have Maxitrol eye drops for her.

She has a really good diet, eats well, has been really active with the warmer weather, but I didn't want it to get any worse. The vet I usually see is really good and saw her 3 weeks ago, she was happy to wait to see if her breathing cleared on its own and I have been updating them every week.

She has now eaten and is walking although she is still keeping her left leg in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They gave her a Baytril injection. I was annoyed because they didn't consult me first. They want her back in in 2 days for another injection, but I refused and have the Baytril liquid instead, which I have had before. Her eye problem has been going on for 3 years, but always seems to flare up with the warmer weather. He said it looks like a growth on her third eyelid may be causing issue when she blinks to clear dust. I have Maxitrol eye drops for her.

She has a really good diet, eats well, has been really active with the warmer weather, but I didn't want it to get any worse. The vet I usually see is really good and saw her 3 weeks ago, she was happy to wait to see if her breathing cleared on its own and I have been updating them every week.

She has now eaten and is walking although she is still keeping her left leg in.
Baytril is extremely caustic. It burns like bleach and does damage to the tissue. It was commonly used in years past, but most people know not to use it now because of the damage it does when at the injection site. Your torotise is in a lot of pain, and I'd let that vet know where I stand on this.

RIs are usually caused by cold temps. Especially cold and damp and especially over night. The cure is more heat.

I know your tortoise is old and has lived all this time doing it the way you've done it, but in light of the current problems, you might need to make some changes that will allow you to control temps better when the weather isn't cooperative. Here is the current care info. A heated outdoor shelter is shown and explained:

Tabby0318

5 Year Member
England
Baytril is extremely caustic. It burns like bleach and does damage to the tissue. It was commonly used in years past, but most people know not to use it now because of the damage it does when at the injection site. Your torotise is in a lot of pain, and I'd let that vet know where I stand on this.

RIs are usually caused by cold temps. Especially cold and damp and especially over night. The cure is more heat.

I know your tortoise is old and has lived all this time doing it the way you've done it, but in light of the current problems, you might need to make some changes that will allow you to control temps better when the weather isn't cooperative. Here is the current care info. A heated outdoor shelter is shown and explained:
Hi, thanks. They gave her the injection without my consent. I will be speaking to her usual vet tomorrow to tell them how annoyed I am. Is there anything I can do to ease the pain for her?
She has an indoor enclosure with a heat and uv lamp for colder days.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
What type of UV bulb are you using? If it's a coil type that screws into a socket like a regular bulb, that's probably the culprit of the eye problem.

Tabby0318

5 Year Member
England
What type of UV bulb are you using? If it's a coil type that screws into a socket like a regular bulb, that's probably the culprit of the eye problem.
Its a Zoo Med Powersun, combined. I have only had for 3 years and she had a sore eye when we got her. She belonged to my father in law and he kept her outside all the time (except for winter), but he had a greenhouse she would go into for shelter and warmth. I bought the combined as she spends most the time in the garden and I only bring her in when its bad weather. She has never been too fussed about sitting under the lamp and I havent really used it this year. I am in the process of moving and buying her a shed where I can get everything set up correctly. I will get a separate UV.

Tabby0318

5 Year Member
England
This morning she is quite active and I am relieved to see her walking about. She is still pulling her leg in every now and again, but definetly better then yesterday. She hasn't lost her appetite and eating like she hasn't eaten for days ?.

I think I may know why after Tom mentioned about night temps. We have been leaving the window open at night where she sleeps, unfortunately due to problems with new neighbours. I will check the temps at night before opening window. Hopefully this will help.

Thanks for all your advice and reassurance.

Tabby0318

5 Year Member
England
Hi, Tabby had her last antibiotic Sunday morning, but she she still sounds like darth vader, even now while she is sleeping. No whistling though.

Does anyone know how quick the antibiotics work? Should I leave her for a couple of days to see if it gets better or take her back to the vets?

We have had some really warm weather recently so she has been out in the garden exploring and I am soaking her every day.