Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
From time to time the question comes up about what to do about ants in and around our tortoise enclosures. I have found a terrific solution that really really works and is based on Borax, so its "non-toxic". Supposedly safe for pets and children, although it says right on the package to keep it away from pets and children. At least its not toxic chemicals or pesticides. Here it is:

34e3wyc.jpg

We have always had ant problems here. Those little black ants. They tend to come in during weather extremes. In the past I have resorted to pesticidal sprays outside and spot spraying inside, as well has mechanically plugging all entry holes. They are obviously living in our walls, but I can't get to them and they keep finding new cracks to invade from. A friend of my wife's told her about this stuff and I figured it would fail like everything else does. Happily, I was dead wrong. We put several out in areas where we continually see ant "scouts". With in an hour all of the "traps" we put out were swarming with the little buggers. My wife wanted to spray them and vacuum them up, but we left them alone. When we got up the next morning there were tens of thousands of ants all over the bait traps. More than we had ever seen and the traps were drained of their contents. By the end of that night there was not an ant to be seen anywhere. They carried out their invasion, carted away their booty, and returned to their dark nests in my walls. They cleaned out 6 traps all over the house. That was three days ago and we have not seen one ant since then. It was really weird. They were swarming for a day and a half and now, its like an ant ghost town here. I expect to see tumble weeds when I open the cupboards where they once were.

We picked it up at OSH for a few bucks and now we no longer have an ant problem OR a toxic chemical problem.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Borax is an old remedy for a number of things,among them insect control.I spray lumber and the area where lumber touches the ground to keep the bugs out.It works well.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
borax and sugar is cheaper than buying it premade but I make it a little strong sometimes.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Once again...Tom to the rescue! You know how I hate to spray RAID...and it doesn't even work like it used to! I'm off to pick up a few of these tomorrow! Thanks Tom!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
DeanS said:
Once again...Tom to the rescue! You know how I hate to spray RAID...and it doesn't even work like it used to! I'm off to pick up a few of these tomorrow! Thanks Tom!

If you are coming this way, call me. Maybe you can come by for some lunch or dinner. Wife's making tacos tomorrow.

Lohan

5 Year Member
Wow thanks Tom...sounds bloody marvelous! And yes think we have our walls held up by ant nests they are forever invading the home! We have avery powerful spray - but we really try to use it as little as poss cos it nearly gases us out - not very nice but it works...but I have not sprayed it this time as Im too worried it may get to her....This stuff that you have showcased looks just what we need, will have a look for it in the shops here but not hopeful - if no good here will have a look on line and see if it can be purchased in the UK then will get my friend to bring it back with her in the next week or so. Thanks so much guys....and Tom - Tacos sound great thanks! lol.....x

fgately

5 Year Member
Hey, dmmj, what is the recipe for the homemade ant killer stuff?

The Terro stuff works well, but I have heard about a homemade version that works just as well.

They are probably Argentine ants. I read somewhere that they are like the Borg from Star Trek. You can take workers from a colony and place them with another colony of Argentine ants anywhere in the world, and they will just assimilate into the new population. I also read that Argentine ants are considered to be the largest single colony of animals in the world because they are considered one single giant colony. I am not sure if this is completely true, but very cool if it is.

Cool or not, they die in my yard!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I do Borax and sugar, as well.

I half expected you to say that you got an Anteater. Don't you have like, every other animal on the face of the earth?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Who me? Look who's talking? I just know lots of OTHER people with animals. I don't have all that many myself.

(Typed with a smile :))

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Tom said:
Who me? Look who's talking? I just know lots of OTHER people with animals. I don't have all that many myself.

(Typed with a smile :))

LOL, it was worse when I lived out in the country. I had the chickens and goats and ducks and geese and horses and mules and... well, okay, so you are probably right ;)

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Thanks Tom for the info. We are only now starting to find ant hills in the yard. We'll have our pavers sitting over the bait right on top of the nest. RV shuffles around the paver, ants are gone rather quickly. I'll look for this bait and use it. Much better than the other stuff...

teri

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Satellite Beach, Fl
Hey guys i found this on CarolinaPetSupply.com
has anyone used it before?

**Most can be controlled with a sugar/boric acid combination.
following is a recipe

boric acid n. A water-soluble white or colorless crystalline compound, H3BO3, used as an antiseptic and preservative and in fireproofing compounds, cosmetics, cements, and enamels.

(HERE IT IS ... THE PROPORTIONS )
I made a Great homemade ant bait which did a really good job for almost nothing
1 teaspoon boric acid (available at any drug store,, $2.99 for 4 oz)
6 tablespoons sugar
2 cups water
Mix together in a jar till all dissolved. Label and store safely.

To use, soak a few cotton balls with it. Put them in a small plastic container (margarine or )with a few small openings in it for them to get in. Be sure to Freshen it 1-2 times a week. I also put a brick on top so other curious creatures could not get in.

This is a slow acting 1 percent solution to get them to take some back to the nest and even feed the queen. After a few weeks changing to a 1/2 percent should keep them gone. **

oh wait... Boric acid and Borax.... are they the same thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.