Ant problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcclure

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Modesto (Northern) California
I have an ant issue in the backyard where Thor roams most of the day. My Clark guy usually comes once/2 months but this year it seems to be bad all over around here. I can call him out. He's assured me, in the past, that the residual doesn't harm the animals as long as I keep them indoors for 30min after spraying. He's usually spraying for bugs/insects but they may use something different for ants specifically. The regular stuff hasn't seemed to hurt him in the past. As soon as they open, I'll find out what type of chemical they use for ants (if it's different than the usual spray) but if that becomes not an option, are there any safe home remedies y'all may know of? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

The problem seems to have started either when I cut the ivy off the sound wall OR brought the bail of grass hay to the backyard. I did those the same day. After that, ants.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I would not allow any chemical near my tortoises environments.
It would have to be organic and cleared through senior members of this group.
Please wait for advice before using any more sprays.
Ants are terrible!
Regards

jpmcclure

5 Year Member
kathyth said:
I would not allow any chemical near my tortoises environments.
It would have to be organic and cleared through senior members of this group.
Please wait for advice before using any more sprays.
Ants are terrible!
Regards

I will wait for sure.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I have tried the uncooked corn grits method and the Splenda method. They are not foolproof at completely eradicating ants from your property (I don't think anything has been invented that successfully does THAT yet!), but it does somewhat work well for preventing them from entering the enclosures. Every few weeks, I pour a line around each pen. Shoot, had to do again last night for a new arrival tortoise!

It's really frustrating when a tiny anthill pops up right inside the enclosure!

This weekend, I'm picking up some diatomaceous earth (another suggested organic treatment) and we'll see how that works. Ants suck big time.

jpmcclure

5 Year Member
StudentoftheReptile said:
I have tried the uncooked corn grits method and the Splenda method. They are not foolproof at completely eradicating ants from your property (I don't think anything has been invented that successfully does THAT yet!), but it does somewhat work well for preventing them from entering the enclosures. Every few weeks, I pour a line around each pen. Shoot, had to do again last night for a new arrival tortoise!

It's really frustrating when a tiny anthill pops up right inside the enclosure!

This weekend, I'm picking up some diatomaceous earth (another suggested organic treatment) and we'll see how that works. Ants suck big time.

You're telling me. There's not an outdoor enclosure really. He just has roam of the backyard which is grass, dirt and cement. Of course trees, etc. there's a dog run area that he's blocked from and also blocked from the side of the house. Anything I put down, he'd be in contact with when he's outside. It probably won't help for long but I think I'm gonna pressure wash the heck outta the backyard tomorrow. At least until I find something that'll work. :)

Please keep me posted on how the new stuff works. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.