Ant problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
So I just moved in to a new house and there seem to be ants everywhere. I know (fire ants) are a huge predator to tortoises. These are black ants rather than fire ants but I know they will still cause harm. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of them without harming my tortoises? It may sound like a dumb question but are there any safe ant killers/repellents that I can buy? Thank you in advance.

tortoise-kid

5 Year Member
This is a really tough situation that I have personally been in too. I couldn't find any good answers so I ended up just drowning the ants out with a hose. Its not the most effective method, but it is 100% safe.

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
dalano73 said:
He is a thread Tom did to help with ant problems, hope it helps you..

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Ant-Solution#axzz1eRKEkT2E

Thank you! Tom's threads are always so helpful. I will have to try it out.....for now I will continue to monitor their food while they eat.

tortoise-kid said:
This is a really tough situation that I have personally been in too. I couldn't find any good answers so I ended up just drowning the ants out with a hose. Its not the most effective method, but it is 100% safe.

Well maybe Tom's thread will help you out as well :) Thank you for the response.

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
My major problem is outside.....would you also recommend Terro for large areas? I just can't believe how bad the ants have taken over the yard. I can barely pick my biggest tortoise up now so having to consistently move them and the food is wearing my back out.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
ok so before anyone LTheirAO at my suggestion :D try it...

So I do not use ANY sprays nor baits nor anything with any type of chemical in it in nor out of my house....so I have found the following works for ants...

Buy some of the big chalk sticks that they sell for side walk art...and run that around the areas that have the problem...like around the bottom of doors in and out (depending on your floors you may need to do in in the door threshold or the door jam directly).

You can also use food grade diatomaceous earth, you can spread this around a larger area and as long as it is food grade your tortoise will not be harmed if they take some in, actually has good benefits...again if you are CERTAIN to use food grade...:D

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
ascott said:
ok so before anyone LTheirAO at my suggestion :D try it...

So I do not use ANY sprays nor baits nor anything with any type of chemical in it in nor out of my house....so I have found the following works for ants...

Buy some of the big chalk sticks that they sell for side walk art...and run that around the areas that have the problem...like around the bottom of doors in and out (depending on your floors you may need to do in in the door threshold or the door jam directly).

You can also use food grade diatomaceous earth, you can spread this around a larger area and as long as it is food grade your tortoise will not be harmed if they take some in, actually has good benefits...again if you are CERTAIN to use food grade...:D

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

Hey, I won't knock anyone's suggestion.....I'm desperate at this point and will try anything. Your suggestion has opened my eyes up to a substance that I didn't even know existed. I guess we learn something new everyday :) Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.