Ant control

Daisy

5 Year Member
Hello everyone!

I am looking for the Forum's expertise on controlling ants in Daisy's (sulcata) enclosure! We are in central Texas, she is about 2 years old but small (rough start with previous owner). She has a 10' x 20' pen that is planted with a variety of grasses, flowers and cactus that are her daily diet. This is also where she spends time outdoors. We have been fortunate to have a fairly wet spring given the drought for the past few years and it seems we are having more ant issues this year. I have seen 3 varieties of ants in her enclosure...fire ants, carpenter ants, sugar ants. I have reviewed some older posts on the forum and seen some info about tort-safe remedies, but could not open the link to Tom's borax recipe. Would appreciate the Forum's recommendations and Tom's current practice!

Thanks so much,ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404299833.696291.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404299890.752349.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi:

We have talked about ant problems a lot here on the Forum. If you put "Ant Remedies" or "Ant Control" in the search box you can read all the threads and remedies that we've talked about.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Vinegar around the perimeter does help to some degree, can't use house pest control because it's not safe...

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Food grade diametaceous earth (DE). You can buy it at most plant nurseries and feed stores. Sprinkle it around and in the enclosure and over any and every ant bed. It takes a few days to work but lasts a long time. Just make sure you do not use it when it is wet and turn off the sprinklers for a couple of days.

Daisy

5 Year Member
Thanks everybody!

Leslie

Daisy (African Sulcata)
3 cats - Mija, Domino, Batman

TanksALot

South Carolina
Hello everyone!

I am looking for the Forum's expertise on controlling ants in Daisy's (sulcata) enclosure! We are in central Texas, she is about 2 years old but small (rough start with previous owner). She has a 10' x 20' pen that is planted with a variety of grasses, flowers and cactus that are her daily diet. This is also where she spends time outdoors. We have been fortunate to have a fairly wet spring given the drought for the past few years and it seems we are having more ant issues this year. I have seen 3 varieties of ants in her enclosure...fire ants, carpenter ants, sugar ants. I have reviewed some older posts on the forum and seen some info about tort-safe remedies, but could not open the link to Tom's borax recipe. Would appreciate the Forum's recommendations and Tom's current practice!

Thanks so much,View attachment 85874View attachment 85875

TanksALot

South Carolina
Hello everyone!

Thanks so much,View attachment 85874View attachment 85875
I don't suggest leaving food out on slate. But, you can use a terracotta pottery dish to place their food in, then place the dish in a larger dish and add water to the larger dish. Ants will not cross a water barrier, so now your feedings will be safe during the Tort's soaking. Food left in attented is just calling out to the ants for a free dinner. However, if you find their home (just watch for a trail leaving the buffet) ridding them can be rewarding. Truly rewarding.

And It's simple. Crazy simple. And most importantly, it's safe for any animals in the area, except of course, the ants... Boil at least a gallon or more of water, then take the water and a glass measuring cup or another type cup, a coffee cup will also do well. Then using the cup, slowly pour the boiling water into the center of the ant hill or where the ants seem to be entering and exiting the area, and any trail they are following to and from their home. You may even be able to see the actual labyrinth during your efforts. Good luck!