Another question on light bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

cueboy007

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
What UVB bulbs are you using for your radiated tortoises?
I came across this article : http://russiantortoise.org/uvb.htm

I currently use Repti Glo 10.0, but looking at the above site, seems the Mega-Ray or Sun Force produce a lot higher UVB than any Exo-Terra, ZooMed brands.

What are your thoughts on this? Should I switch?

Yang

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have used exo-terra, repti glo, & zoomed in the past.

Now, I let my tortoises get all their UVB from the best source of all............. the sun.

cueboy007

5 Year Member
Ontario
I wish I can do the same, but when is -20 degress + wind chill, I don't have many choices.
But I think I'll go with the external ballasted light bulb.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I have the EB60 bulbs from Mega Ray. They do not produce the heat needed for basking but I thing they are the best bulb for the money for UVA and UVB. I use a Halogen bulb for heat, there about $5 each and last several years.

The EB has no filiment and there for has a much longer expected life over the SB bulbs. Mega Ray stands behind their bulb with a minimum output at the end of the warranty period, no one else does.

cueboy007

5 Year Member
Ontario
Scott, does the external box have a switch to turn it on/off?
Do you have any pictures with it? I can't find any online.

Yang

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
I would use the Mega Ray externally ballasted 100w flood version. They emit great amounts of UVB, UVA, and heat.

And like what gummy bear said, natural sunlight is the best, but it's not always warm enough to let the tortoises outdoors, especially here up in Canada. :(

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
I use a 125w Exo-terra for my radiata. Placed at about 20inches away from the top of the tortoise's carapace. Temperature's at around 33-35 degress celsius. He seems comfortable enuff.

I understand that SB bulbs are just Bulb + Lamp + Electricity.
Did think about the 60w EB from megaray though.. not quite sure what I need and how i shd install it.

Anyone here minds showing how you set up your 60w EB from mega ray?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I like the 100 Watt internal ballast Mega Ray or T-Rex Active UV Heat. There should be some new data out soon. Powersun comes in second. Have not heard good things about Sun Force (output rapidly drops over time). Yes, you should switch from a tube light to a MVB...so much better, but of course, sun is best. When I did the math, a MVB replaced yearly with its one fixture and electricity cost was actually less than tube UVB replaced every 6 months + CHE + light bulb. I don't want to deal with the external ballast, but they seem to be getting popular as you can tweak them more, but you need heat with them. The Mega Rays are starting to ship now, but as far as I know T-Rex Active UV Heats aren't available. My tort really perks up with new bulbs, making me want to replace the MVB much sooner than one year. Good luck!

samstar

5 Year Member
Megaray 120 watts, works very well till today, never failed on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.