another question calcium

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Do your tortoises have access to UVB through either a bulb or sunlight? If so, I personally recommend only giving the pure calcium powder. Research D3 and see what you think. It is a fat soluble not water soluble vitamin that torts make from UVB, and can be toxic if they get too much.

For torts less than a year old I would sprinkle a light dusting on their food daily. You can use a salt shaker if desired. When they get older you can cut back to every other day. You can also keep a cuttlebone in the enclosure which provides more calcium if they desire.

NOW makes a human calcium carbonate supplement that is pure calcium. No additives and no D3. It's cheaper than the reptile supplement and sold at health food stores.

Talking Hands

5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
Do your tortoises have access to UVB through either a bulb or sunlight? If so, I personally recommend only giving the pure calcium powder. Research D3 and see what you think. It is a fat soluble not water soluble vitamin that torts make from UVB, and can be toxic if they get too much.

For torts less than a year old I would sprinkle a light dusting on their food daily. You can use a salt shaker if desired. When they get older you can cut back to every other day. You can also keep a cuttlebone in the enclosure which provides more calcium if they desire.

NOW makes a human calcium carbonate supplement that is pure calcium. No additives and no D3. It's cheaper than the reptile supplement and sold at health food stores.
Yes, have UVB. Have already small salt sharker, friend tell me but thanks for suggestion. During day eat less, night time torts like eat more so calcium use night. Already have cuttlebone in cage. Munch one time then now ignore.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
With UVB, my suggestion still stands to return the supplement with D3 and get one that is pure calcium only. Do the research and see what you think though as it's a personal decision for your torts. What are you saying about them having calcium at night? Please clarify as I don't understand your comment.

Talking Hands

5 Year Member
sorry, i deaf and english not good. sometimes not explain good what saying. them eat day and night but eat more during night. well, evening. so will give calcium evening meal so make sure them actually get.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
I wondered what the talking hands met! It's funny how just 2 words can explain so much.. I deaf.... How long have you had your torts? Welcome to the forum and please post pictures if you can. We love them here..
Na

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
That's interesting they eat more at night--I have not heard that yet. I mostly hear of torts eating in the morning, when food is typically offered. I don't think the time matters though at all. That's great you make sure they get the calcium. Very important.

Don't worry about the writing at all. I just needed clarification and you provided it. I took American Sign Language in high school for a few years and found it fascinating. I barely seemed to brush the surface in that time. I wish I had the chance to practice as I've lost most of it now only 6 years later. Best wishes. Hope to see you around the forum more.

Talking Hands

5 Year Member
Talking Hands said:
sorry, i deaf and english not good. sometimes not explain good what saying. them eat day and night but eat more during night. well, evening. so will give calcium evening meal so make sure them actually get.
[/quot

yep, 2 words easy. have torts 2 months. very active, now trust more when feed and clean cage, not hide so much. lots fun and interesting. funny watch eating sometimes, fight for one leaf. so cute! pics will try post IF camara cooperate! thanks for welcome.

tortoisenerd said:
That's interesting they eat more at night--I have not heard that yet. I mostly hear of torts eating in the morning, when food is typically offered. I don't think the time matters though at all. That's great you make sure they get the calcium. Very important.

Don't worry about the writing at all. I just needed clarification and you provided it. I took American Sign Language in high school for a few years and found it fascinating. I barely seemed to brush the surface in that time. I wish I had the chance to practice as I've lost most of it now only 6 years later. Best wishes. Hope to see you around the forum more.

torts seem easy feed. past have box turtles and very cute/interesting but work lots more because live food need. everyday not easy feeding worms, etc. specially for me handicap. service dog help much but, umm, not learn feed turtles yet. hmmm... (smile) here losts good info, like much. learn lots.

Talking Hands

5 Year Member
hay, all different greens and sometimes get little bit fruit but only little. lots dandelions and thistle from yard. them love walk around outside, eat some grass and clover, then try hide. for now still no outdoor pen so just watch them when outside. always go different directions and somtimes so low in grass but always find.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Sounds good. I'd never feed fruit but it's your call. One of the reasons I got my tort is that he's vegetarian, like me. I couldn't deal with the bugs and worms. Hope to see you around more on the forum soon. Best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.