Another newbie!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuMac

5 Year Member
Hi all. Stu here. I posted in Mark's thread just below here and it was suggested I post my own. So here it is. I have a Hermanns tort called Peaches. My 8 year old son decided on the name..... She is 5 inches and weighs just under 500 grams. At moment I'm just getting used to her diet so she has been getting leaves from my garden along with veggies. As we live in North East Scotland, she will be indoor with the occasional trek outside when the weather improves (whenever that is!). I'm not sure how old she is, she was rescued 3 years ago, but I believe she will grow to around 10" so as she is half way there that might be a good indication of her age. ImageUploadedByTortForum1368946801.694280.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome Stu. Your tort is so fortunate to have you rescue him. Can you give us some details of his/her enclosure or set-up? What temps and humidity levels are you using?

StuMac

5 Year Member
For financial reasons I will be housing her in a table setup initially. At the moment she is in a large plastic tub, but she has plenty soil substrate, with her feeding dish bedded in and a basking area with some large stones for warmth. I'm using an Exo Terra ceramic heater with 60w bulb and I have the same clamp with a UV at the other end to encourage her to move about. She has some dandelions and fruit in her bowl. And I intend to soak her tonight. What is the best temp for this? My friend is the one who got me into them. He has many exotic animals( snakes, scorpions, beardies etc) and he has given me some pointers. All the setup I'm using just now was recommended by a local reptile store. I will be getting a glass viv once funds are available to keep her humidity levels up. I think I'm doing it right so far! It was my friend who recommended this forum so I downloaded the app. Loving this place so far. Great people and awesome torts :)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
First of all, whatever you do, don't listen to what the pet store told you. 99% of the time they give bad advise. I recommend you do a search on this forum for diet, temps, and humidity for your tort. I don't own a Hermann tort, but some of the basic things they need you are already providing. Describe what basking UVB lighting you bought. Is it the coil type? If you can cover half of his enclosure, you'll be able to hold in heat and humidity better. Tom is an experienced tort owner here on the forum. Search his threads for various forms of enclosures. Care sheets for Herrmann torts may be able to help you more. Until someone who is experienced with Hermanns gives you a post, you can describe what you're doing for humidity, heat, substrate, and diet.

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Hello Stu and Welcome to TFO!! :) peaches in really beautiful :)

StuMac

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1368969389.431427.jpg enjoying some rare Aberdeenshire sun!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

StuMac

5 Year Member
Hi Tom. I've been looking round your posts at the advice of others on here. I'll no doubt be picking your brain soon!

Maggie and Torie the Tort

5 Year Member
USA
Hello and welcome! I can not wait until my Hermann's Tort is that big (I got him/her 3 weeks ago she is almost 2 months old)

Andrea M

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum, I also have a Hermann, they're wonderful little characters. I'm from the UK too I live in the Midlands x

StuMac

5 Year Member
She is my first tort and even though they really don't do much, there is something engrossing about them. I just stand and watch her wander about. Today she was on top of her hide, I'm guessing she wanted to see the view from the roof! For some reason my photos aren't loading on here now :(

image_zpscefffbba.jpg
[/IMG]

image_zpsc699c75e.jpg
[/IMG]

Status
Not open for further replies.