Another newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
Hi there, I am joining up to have some other torties people to talk to. I have a pair of Russians, and a wonderful red foot(Jack) Someone just passed along an ornate boxie and I have a few questions. Hope nows the time to ask. The russians and Jack are outside in a nice enclosure all late spring and untill it gets too cold. (I am in Mass). They all eat great, loads of veggies, greens, very tiny tiny amount of fruit and have gotten along well together for years.Inside in the winter(haven't overwintered the Russians officially)and the red foot I have been told don't) The russians seem to do it somewhat on their own, they leave any heated area of the pool their in and stop eating for a couple months. So a suggestion on that would be awesome. But most important, this ornate(who is beautiful,if I may say so, she(I am pretty sure) was thrown at me, I am not in the habit of taking a pet I know nothing about. I know their requirements differ a whole lot, (mostly animal protein etc)and humidity is different. But what about the temps? I have gotten many different variations from many turtle sites. They are separated now, I have vetted her,as good as that gets, fecal and appererance goes. I want them to be in one big enclosure in the summer time, I can seperate in the winter, get her her own pool.Just hoping for some experienced feed back. Thanks so much . Nadine (also,How hard is it for a computer dummy to post pics?)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Okay so this is the missed post. Once more sorry. I have all the same ones you do. Personally I won't mix species together, so I can't give advice on it. I am also lucky enough to live in my ornates natural area, so mine live outside 24/7. I know, no help for you...lol sorry.

Is the box eating? How long before you got her was she in captivity? Just wondering if I should remind you to watch for her trying to slow down in an attempt to go into hibernation.

Most tortoises can use the same heat requirements...if given enough room that they can leave a warm area and go cooler if they personally need to. Pretty much the same is true of lighting requirements. There are exceptions like with Homes hingebacks which seem to not want the lighting...which makes sense with them living in more shaded areas.

With you diet will be the biggest difference.

Rees2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Santa Cruz California
Welcome to Tortoise Forum.org you should try to seprate yor turtles and tortoises so they get the exact care requirments they need.

Status
Not open for further replies.