Another newbie!!

mychal

Well I am new here. We Got our first Red footed tortoise two weeks ago today. She is about 4" long on the underside of her shell. We have been working out the problems with her habait for those two weeks and think we may have gotten then taken care of. We are mainly have heat and humidity problems. But we changed what we keep her in and that had made a large difference. she got her first taste of earth worms last night and that was quit funny to watch. I have found so much conflicting info that I have been very leery of giving some food and have traded those for others I know are safe for her. We Live in east Texas where is very hot and humid. Not sure a summer outdoor pen will be the best for her with possible 100+ degrees so we are things more of a "playpen" for mornings and evening outside. But we will cross that bridge when we get to it. Right now her scales are greens of spring mix. I do pick all the spinach out of it because I have heard that is not great for them. Then I have green peppers every few days and then blue berries. I have picked up some strawberries to try and bananas also. Then for pellets I have the Mazuri tortoise diet I add about 10 moist pellets every few days also. I have been bathing her daily just till she poops and then she gets to walk around our bathroom so it is a controlled environment, till she gets big enough that we could find her in the house and to keep out dogs away from her. I am open to any advice on her. She did come from a pet store I know lots of people frown on that but they need to be saved also.

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hello and welcome. I'm from way up in MA so I haven't had to firsthand deal with hot temperatures in outdoor enclosures, but I do know what I've heard other people do, make sure where you'll keep him outside is planted heavily where there will be a lot of shade, and I also know people use sprinklers to cool them off and keep them humid on the hot and dry places. People with more experience will pop up if you ask about it more, but it can be possible :)

mychal

Hello and welcome. I'm from way up in MA so I haven't had to firsthand deal with hot temperatures in outdoor enclosures, but I do know what I've heard other people do, make sure where you'll keep him outside is planted heavily where there will be a lot of shade, and I also know people use sprinklers to cool them off and keep them humid on the hot and dry places. People with more experience will pop up if you ask about it more, but it can be possible :)

Thanks. east Texas is quit humid it is just very hot also and I almost think maybe to hot for the afternoons outdoors. But for mornings and some cooler evenings I am sure she would be good out there. I am thinking on the back side of the house where it gets not afternoon sun and plenty of shade will be a good area. But with the weather we are having that can be a ways off.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
A big Welcome from another east Texas Redfoot owner. Summers are fine here for them as long as you have plenty of shade for them and a small water pond for them to cool off in. If you have any questions about care check out the link provided above or ask away.
First things first. The floor is NOT the place for your tort. Even when it's bigger you should not let it loose in the house, especially if you have a dog. Secondly heat and humidity are super important to your torts Heath. It won't take long for it to get sick if those are incorrect so please tell us what temps and humidity level you're able to maintain so we can help you if you need it.

Welcome

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Welcome to the forum! ! !

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Welcome to the forum.
As you can see, there are many people here who can answer all your questions.
I think red foots are stunning creatures, but don't know much about them myself.
Enjoy the forum, it's great with equally great people tortoises and turtles.