Another "Male or Female?" post

Kipley

Location (City and/or State)
Seattle, WA
I'm confused. He/She is at least 8 years old. The plastron appears flat and the tail is much smaller than my 8 year old male's tail, but a small V and he(?) appears to have a pinched waist....
Help!

1581797919545.png

Kipley

Seattle, WA
C'mon please! Some of you guys can identify the sex here can't you? I'm being offered this tortoise but I do not need another male. Not breeding - just looking for a female.
I've posted this photo in several FB groups for Redfoots but nobody can agree on the gender - some are calling this a male and others are convinced it is a female. So came here where the knowledge base is far more accurate.
Please, what do you think here?

Last edited:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Looks female I think

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
C'mon please! Some of you guys can identify the sex here can't you? I'm being offered this tortoise but I do not need another male. Not breeding - just looking for a female.
I've posted this photo in several FB groups for Redfoots but nobody can agree on the gender - some are calling this a male and others are convinced it is a female. So came here where the knowledge base is far more accurate.
Give him a warm bath. Soak him awhile and rub his plastrom
A warm soak and a plastron rub will often cause a male to flash you. Worth a try, but not for sure if you don’t get flashed.

Kipley

Seattle, WA
Give him a warm bath. Soak him awhile and rub his plastrom

A warm soak and a plastron rub will often cause a male to flash you. Worth a try, but not for sure if you don’t get flashed.
The owner of this tort is across the country from me. They have had him/her for 7 years and they are unsure of her age. "He" has never flashed them, and "She" has never shown any nesting behavior or laid eggs. The plastron is flat.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My guess is also female.
BTW there is no difference in head size or shape like you mentioned above.
Males get an hourglass shaped "waist line", a concaved plastron and a much longer tail with a V shaped vent.
I'd also guess that that tortoise is about 7 years old.

Kipley

Seattle, WA
My guess is also female.
BTW there is no difference in head size or shape like you mentioned above.
Males get an hourglass shaped "waist line", a concaved plastron and a much longer tail with a V shaped vent.
I'd also guess that that tortoise is about 7 years old.
Thanks, I wondered about that (the head shape). The reason I asked is this was posted in response to the photo on a Facebook group and it sounded valid:
"...females usually have a more rounded head and not as long from the eye to the nose. Males usually have a more elongated head with more from their eye to the nose ."

I had never heard this before.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Thanks, I wondered about that (the head shape). The reason I asked is this was posted in response to the photo on a Facebook group and it sounded valid:
"...females usually have a more rounded head and not as long from the eye to the nose. Males usually have a more elongated head with more from their eye to the nose ."

This is true for some water turtles, not Redfoots lol

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

Thanks for reminding me why I had to get off of some FACEBOOK Redfoot groups.
Those idiots prowl like a pack of wolves and attack anyone trying to suggest something new .(And correct)