Another: ID this Guy! (one that makes me feel better about my craigslist habit)!

K8E K

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
N. CA
favorite this post Tortoise identification help?
image 2 of 6
00606_knqW3rOkKcI_600x450.jpg

00a0a_kYH6L59koQz_600x450.jpg

00E0E_eoEDQfoTS79_600x450.jpg

01313_181TrinoBBG_600x450.jpg

00z0z_jpudU07BAl6_600x450.jpg

00L0L_e1Am33l2gIo_600x450.jpg

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
(google map)

So a tortoise was surrendered to my work last week, and we couldn't figure out his species so I brought him home. He's 11 inches long so he can't be a Texas tortoise, though he looks a lot like it. His color is a lot different from a Sulcata and he lacks the armor. He's definitely not a red foot. Could anyone help me out? We just want to make sure we're giving him the proper habitat and food. Could he possibly be a hybrid?

He was probably neglected in his last home. He was said to live in a tank his whole life, and he only wants to eat strawberries and romaine lettuce, which are not that good for tortoises, I know. I try to sneak some collared greens & carrots & bell pepper into his mouth but he just wants his strawberries. Lol.

If anyone could help identify his species it would be greatly appreciated!
  • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
post id: 6247526672

posted: 2 days ago

What say you amazing community? Desert? In the Sacramento area.

K8E K

5 Year Member
N. CA
I should clarify that it "makes me feel better about my craigslist habit" because I felt helpful responding...it still super sucks to see what was obviously an abused animal.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I should clarify that it "makes me feel better about my craigslist habit" because I felt helpful responding...it still super sucks to see what was obviously an abused animal.

It definitely sucks, but is this abuse? I don't know. Certainly ignorance and laziness. Possibly negligence, but abuse? Some pet store or dog vet may have advised them to keep the tortoise this way and they just never took the time to do an internet search or ask anyone else.

When I was a kid, my vet told me to feed my box turtle Mighty dog dog food, tomatoes and lettuce, and to keep it on kitty litter with a hot rock in a small glass tank. Did I abuse my turtle by following that advice, or was I just an ignorant kid who was misled by someone who didn't know better?

K8E K

5 Year Member
N. CA
It definitely sucks, but is this abuse? I don't know. Certainly ignorance and laziness. Possibly negligence, but abuse? Some pet store or dog vet may have advised them to keep the tortoise this way and they just never took the time to do an internet search or ask anyone else.

When I was a kid, my vet told me to feed my box turtle Mighty dog dog food, tomatoes and lettuce, and to keep it on kitty litter with a hot rock in a small glass tank. Did I abuse my turtle by following that advice, or was I just an ignorant kid who was misled by someone who didn't know better?
Eh, good point. At the same time, I don't necessarily think abuse requires ill intent. I've certainly made mistakes (I'm sure continue to), in total ignorance or just mis-information, which caused what I would consider suffering. I don't really say "abuse" with judgement. Someone surrendered their animal, which takes effort and a certain amount of bravery. They certainly could have just released it, let it die, or any number of other routes. But, point taken- it sounds judge-y. Not my intent.

Re-write: it sucks to see a malformed animal that wasn't taken care of properly.

K8E K

5 Year Member
N. CA

I was told the same thing about box turtles when I was a kid- at least about the diet- and I obtained mine *from the wild* (!) thinking (or telling myself) I was rescuing it (many farmers in my area shot them on sight because they "dug up the field"). I lost one to hibernation, because I was so worried about it I kept rousing it to make sure it was still alive (and we were going off the advice of a naturalist friend- probably it was additionally dehydrated). I'm pretty grateful to the internet, these days.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was told the same thing about box turtles when I was a kid- at least about the diet- and I obtained mine *from the wild* (!) thinking (or telling myself) I was rescuing it (many farmers in my area shot them on sight because they "dug up the field"). I lost one to hibernation, because I was so worried about it I kept rousing it to make sure it was still alive (and we were going off the advice of a naturalist friend- probably it was additionally dehydrated). I'm pretty grateful to the internet, these days.

Look how far we've come...

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Most definitely is a texas tortoise. We have had specimens larger than this one. One thing also to consider is that the poor prior or maybe current (purely speculative) situation can alter the dimensions. As Tom stated it appears to represent some metabolic bone disease with the sloughing of the posterior carapace towards the flank. Which basically can pancake and deform the growth of any chelonian making it measure much larger than it should be. Excellerated captive and improper diets can also cause a massive spike in growth. Where is this animal?