Another ID hopeful

KSeaman

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I adopted RuPaul Schultz from our local humane society, she was found wandering the streets. I am located in NW Washington. I think she is a rather young (REALLY prefers meat and meal worms to veggies and fruit at this point) Desert Box Turtle so not native to my area and must have been someone's pet before she made a break for it.

She enjoys digging and even though she has a digging area inside she is not happy that she is having to live indoors for the winter.

Her tail was gone and her shell damaged when I adopted her. I assume some predator tried to make a meal of her but she has recovered well.

Sorry for so many pictures but hey, I think she is adorable!

So what do you think? Desert Box Turtle or something else?

Thank you all BTW for having the forum where we can all learn and share.

Hoping to add a small variety tortoise to the family at some point.

Stacked.jpg Close up butt shot.jpg Getting weighed 7-20 vet check.jpg Indoor enclosure 2 x 6 .jpg Indoor enclosure length wise.jpg Inside just out of her cave 10-18.jpg Looking out.jpg Outdoor enclosure 4 x 8.jpg Rupaul Schultz peeking out of her hole..jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Looks like an Ornate box turtle.

KSeaman

Washington
Thanks, I thought so at first then was looking at pictures of the desert box turtle and she looks more like that.

Though it seemed less likely since I am in NW WA.

Thank you again.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It doesn't have enough yellow lines to be a desert box turtle. I'm voting for a mix between an ornata and a three toe. Just so you know, my tortoise partner, Will, told me that "they" no longer separate the Luteola from the Ornata. They're all one species now.I wish they'd quit fooling around with turtle and tortoise species.

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
Regardless of the species, you have a beautiful new boxie friend. Their personalities are so engaging. Both your indoor and outdoor habitats are extrodinarilly beautiful. Your boxie and other tortoises will live well.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
The anterior costal scutes have seven lines which leans toward desert box turtle (Terrapene ornata luteola) but all other costal scutes have five or less lines leaning toward ornate box turtle (Terrapene ornata ornata). Could be an intergrade between the two, or as Yvonne (and Will) point out they could just all be ornates.

Personally, I like the division of species into subspecies when differences in habit or physical description present themselves. For example, many female ornate box turtles are unique in that they will first dig themselves down into the soil and then begin to dig a nest for egg deposition. A female desert box turtle typically just digs an egg deposition chamber from the soil surface as other box turtles do.