Another Effective Night Box

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Neverland!
Tom, if I were to use a CHE, would it work to lay it in a corner and use bricks to keep it at a distance from the sulcata inside?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
tffnytorts said:
Tom, if I were to use a CHE, would it work to lay it in a corner and use bricks to keep it at a distance from the sulcata inside?

Sure. Anything that generates heat can work. My only complaint about CHEs is that they get really hot directly under them and on larger tortoises this often causes damage to the carapace. If you had it off to the side, and not directly over the tortoise you would avoid this problem.

In theory your plan sounds feasible, but the execution could be problematic if you are not careful.

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
Just wanted to put my vote in for the double walled night box design with the oil filled heater. Mine is 8x4x3(ish) and the heat hardly ever comes on yet keeps the box at a steady 82 degrees. I have it walled off at the bottom so the hay stays away and the draw bridge still door with vinyl flaps. LOVE IT!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: Another Effective Night Box

JennBell0725 said:
Just wanted to put my vote in for the double walled night box design with the oil filled heater. Mine is 8x4x3(ish) and the heat hardly ever comes on yet keeps the box at a steady 82 degrees. I have it walled off at the bottom so the hay stays away and the draw bridge still door with vinyl flaps. LOVE IT!

What! !!!! ! No pictures! !!!! !

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah. C'mon. Where are the pics?

I'm making yet another 4x4x2' box right now. Just put together the lid today.

GinaSoCal

5 Year Member
Carlsbad, CA
I'm rather late to this thread but I had a couple of questions for you Tom:

1) For the RHP Panel: What wattage do you suggest to get if I plan to get it for one sulcata, currently 6 yrs old & 30 pounds, but I want this to be big enough & equipped enough to take him into adulthood with no problems.

2) Same Question on the Kane Heat Mat: What size & wattage do you suggest for one male?

Thanks in advance!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm rather late to this thread but I had a couple of questions for you Tom:

1) For the RHP Panel: What wattage do you suggest to get if I plan to get it for one sulcata, currently 6 yrs old & 30 pounds, but I want this to be big enough & equipped enough to take him into adulthood with no problems.

2) Same Question on the Kane Heat Mat: What size & wattage do you suggest for one male?

Thanks in advance!

1. 80 watts. Its about 12x21". I get them from: http://www.reptilebasics.com/80-watt-radiant-heat-panel
2. 18x28". I think these are around 72 watts, if memory serves. Tyler has these. http://www.tortoisesupply.com/kane-heat-mats/

These sizes will work well for any size tortoise from 10-200 pounds.

GinaSoCal

5 Year Member
Carlsbad, CA
Thanks a million Tom!

I'm looking forward to building Francisco one within the next couple of months here before we get into 'Winter' in Carlsbad...I don't have any carpentry experience but have the tools & feel that with your instructions it should be fairly easy.

Alcina

Hello, Tom!

I have an old heater that is very similar to this one. If I mounted it on the top of a small wood enclosure, would that work? Or do you prefer the RHP?

Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, Tom!

I have an old heater that is very similar to this one. If I mounted it on the top of a small wood enclosure, would that work? Or do you prefer the RHP?

Thanks!

They use those over in South Africa. I used one for me at the Inn where I lived for four months. It wasn't very good at keeping my room warm, but it might work for a small tortoise house. Since I have no experience using one of these in this way, I really don't have anything other than guesses for you. My RHPs do the job and they are 80 watts. The one in your link is 450 watts. I'd be careful, but give it a try WITHOUT a tortoise in the box for a few nights and see what it does. You might have just shown me a new and better way to do things. Please post whatever you discover.

Alcina

They use those over in South Africa. I used one for me at the Inn where I lived for four months. It wasn't very good at keeping my room warm, but it might work for a small tortoise house. Since I have no experience using one of these in this way, I really don't have anything other than guesses for you. My RHPs do the job and they are 80 watts. The one in your link is 450 watts. I'd be careful, but give it a try WITHOUT a tortoise in the box for a few nights and see what it does. You might have just shown me a new and better way to do things. Please post whatever you discover.
I'll keep that in mind! I was planning on testing the heater out when I build my enclosure. I want to have everything set up before I even buy a tortoise, that way I can do temperature and humidity checks and stuff.

Thanks for the advice!

Dave S.

Huntington Beach, California
Hey Tom. Have you researched or tried Solar panels on the roofs of your Night Boxes? I'm about to build one and don't want the mess of cords running throughout my yard and I don't have an outdoor outlet. I was was wondering if you or anyone else on the forum has tried using solar panels successfully as energy sources for heat lamps/panels, etc.
Saw something like this on eBay that sparked an idea:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solar-Light...818649?hash=item4d4f4b5459:g:ynEAAOSwo4pYNuOr
Thanks for your input.
-Dave

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey Tom. Have you researched or tried Solar panels on the roofs of your Night Boxes? I'm about to build one and don't want the mess of cords running throughout my yard and I don't have an outdoor outlet. I was was wondering if you or anyone else on the forum has tried using solar panels successfully as energy sources for heat lamps/panels, etc.
Saw something like this on eBay that sparked an idea:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solar-Light...818649?hash=item4d4f4b5459:g:ynEAAOSwo4pYNuOr
Thanks for your input.
-Dave

While it is possible, our heating elements pull a lot of power on a cold winter night, which is also when days are shortest and we are frequently under that marine layer or cloudy skies. You would need a large bank of batteries to store enough power to last the night and get through cloudy days.

I just rent a trencher and run power to wherever I need it. For short distances, I use a heavy duty extension cord.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
@Tom
Hi Tom,
My husband informed me that we could start our heated night box this weekend.
Is there a list of materials that would help us get started? I love all your instructions but I'm having a hard time with a materials list.
I just need to know how many pieces of plywood and thickness, lumber etc.
I'm okay in the electrical department.

I wasn't sure if there was a link.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
@Tom
Hi Tom,
My husband informed me that we could start our heated night box this weekend.
Is there a list of materials that would help us get started? I love all your instructions but I'm having a hard time with a materials list.
I just need to know how many pieces of plywood and thickness, lumber etc.
I'm okay in the electrical department.

I wasn't sure if there was a link.

I read through a few pages and tried to piece it together. We'll do the best we can. I'm so excited!