Another Effective Night Box

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
@Tom If you still have all the night box building photos stored in your phone, you can post them all here at the end of the thread. You don't have to try to fit them back in where they were originally. Or you can start a new thread with all the pictures and we can just edit this thread to show the link to the new, picture thread.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom If you still have all the night box building photos stored in your phone, you can post them all here at the end of the thread. You don't have to try to fit them back in where they were originally. Or you can start a new thread with all the pictures and we can just edit this thread to show the link to the new, picture thread.
Thank you, but there are in another computer. I don't know if it still even works. I'll have to see if I can find them and transfer them over.

Unitygraph

California
@Tom Have a quick question in regards to all the flat lids of these tortoise night boxes I’ve been seeing. When it rains, doesn’t the rain water just sit and puddle up on the flat surface lid? Wouldn’t the roof top of a tortoise box be better with it being sloped like a roof of a house, so that the rain water just runs down off of the roof top? Just curious to know, because I am going to build a night box for my Sulcata, that I want to last long term.

thanks,
J

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom Have a quick question in regards to all the flat lids of these tortoise night boxes I’ve been seeing. When it rains, doesn’t the rain water just sit and puddle up on the flat surface lid? Wouldn’t the roof top of a tortoise box be better with it being sloped like a roof of a house, so that the rain water just runs down off of the roof top? Just curious to know, because I am going to build a night box for my Sulcata, that I want to last long term.

thanks,
J
Rain??? In California? What are you talking about??? :)

My building skills are very basic and self-taught. A sloped roof sounds like a great idea, but its outside my skill set. In practice, this has never been a problem for me. My boxes last 10+ years, and counting. For a time, I was painting the roofs white every spring, and some dark color every fall. The constant painting kept them protected. Prior to that bi-annual repainting, I still never had a problem. Now I put white corrugated plastic on top, and this protects the box tops even more.