Another bulb question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY
I have to replace my tube/strip light pretty soon, it's coming up on 6 months for it. I'm thinking of making the switch to a MegaRay/T-Rex all in one bulb (all my other worries aside) but am wondering how often they should be changed? I have been reading a ton on them and know that even after a year they have tested to have more output than a new tube but is there a changing schedule? Or is it just still putting enough UVA/UVB out if it's still working?
Also, how long do you leave it on for? I typically turn the tube off after about 10-12 hours but leave the regular light on (for heat and light) for a few more hours. Since the all-in-ones are so much more powerful what is too much?
I sometimes over-think stuff and this may just be such a case but any input is appreciated!

chadk

10 Year Member!
Clementine_3 said:
I have to replace my tube/strip light pretty soon, it's coming up on 6 months for it. I'm thinking of making the switch to a MegaRay/T-Rex all in one bulb (all my other worries aside) but am wondering how often they should be changed? I have been reading a ton on them and know that even after a year they have tested to have more output than a new tube but is there a changing schedule? Or is it just still putting enough UVA/UVB out if it's still working?
Also, how long do you leave it on for? I typically turn the tube off after about 10-12 hours but leave the regular light on (for heat and light) for a few more hours. Since the all-in-ones are so much more powerful what is too much?
I sometimes over-think stuff and this may just be such a case but any input is appreciated!

Good questions. I use Mega-Rays. You can look up the info on their site, but generally the best\useful life is about 6months. I know folks who change theirs every 18 months. By the end, I would imagine the UVB output is getting pretty low. But you are right to wonder just exactly how much to they really need each day?

I've been thinking about installing another timer and only having my Mega-Ray on for 1/2 the time and then change to a regular basking bulb. You'll notice most torts, lizards, etc have specific times they like to come out and bask. My lizards for example come out and hang out under the mega-ray first thing in the morning - no more that a few hour window. The rest of the time they are out of the direct light. So if I have my mega-ray on from say 8am to noon, I can use a normal basking bulb from noon to 9pm or whatever.

Will that be good for the lizard or tort? Maybe a break from the stong uvb would be good - while still allowing some basking just for heat? Will it save my Mega-ray (add a few more months)? Not really sure yet. Anyone??

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I believe the MVBs should be changed out at a year if you do not have a UV meter (some vets or reptile societies may have one for you to use; they are expensive). The traditional tubes last only 6 months, so that is another good reason to get the MVBs. If you have a meter, you can keep using the MVB if you think that it is still outputting enough for the animal.

This link gets posted a lot here, but is very helpful showing outputs and bulb life: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/

I am not sure if the life of the bulb (which is basically the useful UVB output) is affected more by on/off cycles or length of burn. I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is somewhere on that site, but honestly I don't find it very user-friendly.

I know some use the MVB only for a certain time of day, and a regular bulb for the rest of the time. This seems good if you are worried about the animal getting too much UVB (although at recommended distances it doesn't exceed midday sun), want to more mimic nature with less light in the mornings and afternoons, and know what time the animal likes to bask.

How much heat does the MVB create vs. the basking bulb (I have not used there before)? That would be my question, as if the basking bulb creates less heat, the enclosure temp could drop. Also, MVBs take a bit to warm up when turned on. I've noticed up to an hour to get to full temperature.

I personally only use the MVB, and have it on 12-14 hours a day. My tort spends much of that time hiding or not under it, so I do not worry about over exposure. I do not want the hassle of multiple bulbs because I already have a supplemental CHE. He does not get much time outside (never yet actually due to cold temps), so I feel it is important he gets the UVB. It's your call as to if it is too much as you'll get both answers.

M

Maggie Cummings

12 hours of light is all that's needed. So I would just use one light for heat and UVB (the tube), and turn off the other light, it's not needed at all...

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Well, I just ordered a T-Rex 100 watt active UV heat bulb and new dome fixture. Hopefully I will be pleased with it and so will Turtle.
New question and ponderance though; is the heat generated roughly the same as a regular 100 watt incandescent bulb? That's what I currently use and it's about 13 or so inches above the substrate. The higher the new bulb is the less the UV reaching Turtle...see, I really do over-think everything and worry too much :D
sigh, I may have to buy a meter...

chadk

10 Year Member!
It is really hard to compare one bulb to another. You have a range (like 12min to 18inches max) that the instructions should tell you. So if you are adjusting the temps by raising and lowering within the recommended range, you should be good.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I agree with Chad. You need to stay within the range the packaging gives so that it does not output too much at the tort's level (too close; but will also be too hot), or have it so high that useful UVB does not reach the tort (too high; but also will be too cool).

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Upstate NY
The bulb will be well within the recommended distance. I was merely pointing out (thinking out loud through the keyboard) that one of the "flaws" to an all in one bulb is that to create the proper basking temperature the UV levels are affected. With a basking bulb and flo strip each can be moved without effecting the other.
I know that the MV's are the new best thing on the market and provide greater UV variances and correlating heat which is how things work outside. It is my, and hopefully everyone's, goal to provide the best possible care for my pets. That, in Turtle's case, means trying to replicate the environment that he was wrongfully snatched from. I don't know what the UV levels are in deserts of Turkey and Syria but I know the tube is not as close to what it should be, therefore, I will use the new bulb system that gets rave reviews. In a perfect world the UV in Turtle's table would be less in the morning, more at noon and less again in the evening. Short of setting up a million lights on timers I have to do what seems to be best for him over the course of time. Therein lies my ridiculous problem, what is right for him when it comes to lights. I don't have, and don't see where anyone does, the right answers so will always worry that I am 'doing him wrong'. Is it better than the people that had him before me did...yes. Is it as good as it was when he was roaming around 'wild' in his proper lot in life...no.
There is not a definitive answer on the average expected life of the bulbs, it is obviously all based on the UV output. It is typically recommended to change a fluorescent tube every 6 months because they deteriorate rapidly but that may not necessarily be the case, testing indicates some last, with little deterioration, for more than a year...it depends on the individual bulb. The general consensus on the MV's seems to be a year, but that too depends on the individual bulb and a meter is needed to be sure. Yes, I just ordered a meter so I can monitor the bulb's UV output. The funny part here is that I can watch the readings go down but what level is too low? When it gets down to what a new flo tube would be? I'm not asking that for an answer, it's a rhetorical question, but it is something I will continually think about. The correct answer, of course, is when it gets below the average daily UV readings in the deserts of Turkey and Syria ;)
I fully realize that I'm being absurd about the whole thing and I also realize I should just plug the light in when it comes, monitor the temperature and call it happy...I can't though, it's not the way I work in my head.
It's OK, you can roll your eyes and probably get annoyed, I'm used to it.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Clementine_3, please don't just plug it in and monitor the temp, I actually like the way you think. A word of caution though these bulbs have a burn in time. Set it up let it be on for a couple of hours before you place it over turtle. When the new bulbs first start up they are very powerful so allow it the burn in time for turtles sake. And for your here is some information I found quite interesting. regarding turkey and the Mediterranean region. Seems it is similar to California
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_climate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_Turkey#Climate
http://www.mapsofworld.com/lat_long/turkey-lat-long.html
http://www.mapsofworld.com/lat_long/syria-lat-long.html
http://www.mapsofworld.com/lat_long/usa/usa-lat-long.html
http://www.worldweather.org/093/c00826f.htm#wxforecast

according the the solar calculator http://www.wunderground.com/calculators/solar.html
the amout of power produced by the sun in Kavaklidere Ankara, Turkey is approx 25 KWhr/Yr over 1 foot square
The amount of power produced by the sun in Highland CA, USA is approx 31 KW/hr over 1 square foot
This is calculating solar panel use which shows me there is some difference but my solar production is fairly close to Turkeys.
See I think we may think in similar patterns :)

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Awesome! Thanks for the links, that's good info for sure. I have much reading to do later tonight now! When my meter gets here I will have to send it to you so you can take readings for me in the summer ;)
I had read about the burn in period and was actually planning on letting the bulb burn for a day or two without it being over Turtle's table. Hopefully the dog won't get too used to the new 'sun spot' that will be created...she loves a good sun spot. lol

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I see you are in Upstate NY. you get 22 KWhr/yr over 1 foot squared.
So that is pretty close.
I'm looking for a UVB meter to get were did you get yours from?

Now if we could just get a few people from around the world to measure their UVB at a specific time of day and day of week. We could know exactly what we are dealing with. Anybody out there in Turkey or Syria?

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I ordered THIS ONE, it's pricey but from everything I read it's the best option as far as accuracy and ease of use. I figure it will be as much fun to play with as my IR thermometer...I'm easily amused.
It would be fantastic if we could get a bunch of readings from around the globe!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Thanks for the info I'll have to wait for tax returns to arrive but that is the one I was looking at also.

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Well, the bulb and dome came today! It's very bright!! I have it plugged in but not near Turtle, I'll put it over his table on Friday when I'm working from home, that way I can monitor it and him. I woke him up when I was plugging it in in his room, he came running over so I took him out for a bit. As soon as he hit the floor and saw the light he took off like a rocket towards it, I think he likes it!
My meter hasn't come yet, I had to call the company today to check on it as I've not heard a word. The order, for whatever reason, was never placed through the site. The gentleman I spoke with could not have been nicer and promised to ship it right out. I don't mind waiting but am getting antsy for it to get here so I can play with it.
Question on the bulb though...the outer edges are a nice white light but there is a 'beam' of a more green light in the center, I'm assuming that is normal?? Anyone notice this with their MVB's?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Yes, the center of the light is often a different color especially in the beginning. Be careful looking at the bulb though it is mighty strong and can damage your eyes as well.

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Oh, I won't be looking at the bulb! I do have allergy issues with too much sun so I will be extra careful when I'm in there.
I just set it up in his table, he was sound asleep in his hide and didn't even stir while I was moving lights around. I turned it on and left the room (he was still sleeping) and went back in around 3 minutes later to find him plopped right under it!! He looked very pleased with himself too.
I'll spend the rest of the night going back and forth with my IR thermometer to monitor everything. My UV meter was shipped today so should be here soon.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
An IR thermometer is in Infrared thermometer right? Sorry, just asking? Just wanna know the best kinda thermometer to get for Tallula's enclosure :D

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Yup. I have one called the PE1. It was $25 (Ebay) and recommended by some of the reptile places and my vet. Great investment in my opinion, as you just point the laser and know what the temp is. Much better than waiting for the thing to read out the temp at one location. We even use it around the house for stuff.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Yes a IR thermometer is a Infared thermometer.
And the SOLARMETER or UV-METER it measure ultraviolet radiation (UVA/UVB) and lets you know when your bulbs need to be replaced. and what the UVB is outside at any time you chose to take a reading.

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Well, the UV meter came and I've been waiting for a sunny day to take some readings outside. The level at the ground is 5-7 (fluctuating up to 8-10), the reading on Turtles substrate is 0, it's ~100 aimed at the light from the substrate. I have to have the bulb much higher than the regular incandescent as it's so hot, I just put the strip light (which measures 107 an inch away from the bulb) back over his table and with both on I can get a reading of about 2-3 a bit above the substrate (measuring horizontally, not straight down). I'll leave it like that for a while and see how Turtle likes it and does...just seems to me that the reading on the ground in his table should be more than 0.
I knew this would become the bane of my existence! LOL
Stazz, I also have the PE1 IR thermometer, forgot how much I paid for it but find it to be very useful.

I just took new readings...outside ground is 33 and Turtle's ground (now that both bulbs have been running for a while) is 9-10. That, to me anyway, seems like a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.