Another Aldabra

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAV46

5 Year Member
Thought I would share a pic of our Aldabra. He/she is around 13-14 inches straight length and was born sometime in 2006.
Squirt is the name and eating and grazing all day is the game!

clip_image002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi DAV46:

Welcome to the forum!!

Your tortoise is a beauty.

Let me share with you some of my experience with this type tortoise.

I have two males that I received when they were just a couple months old. They hatched in 2000. These tortoises grow much faster than the sulcata, which, as you may know, is a VERY fast growing tortoise. My two Aldabs just graze. I don't feed them at all. Last year I started giving them one meal a week of Mazuri because I was worried that there wasn't enough nutrients in the grass they graze on. They both weigh around 130lbs.

Well, this year, I've noticed that they don't seem to be as strong on their legs as I would like them to be. One of them doesn't really drag himself, but he doesn't get up high when he walks. And now, last week the other one dips to the ground when he raises that back leg to walk forward.

I did some research on the tree growing in their pen and found out that wax leaf privet is toxic. I've been seeing lots of leaves in their poop lately.

Also, I suspected a calcium deficiency.

So I called out the vet, who agreed that the privet is toxic, however, she felt that the symptoms more mimic the lack of calcium.

So, moral to the story...if you only graze your tortoise, you really do need to figure out some way to supplement calcium and other vitamins and minerals. Its much easier to keep them healthy and growing right than it is to correct a problem.

To anyone else reading this thread, this really only applies to a very fast-growing type of tortoise that grows large quickly. I've been only feeding my desert tortoises the grass and weeds in their habitat for many, many years with no calcium def. problems.

DAV46

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi DAV46:

Welcome to the forum!!

Your tortoise is a beauty.

Let me share with you some of my experience with this type tortoise.

I have two males that I received when they were just a couple months old. They hatched in 2000. These tortoises grow much faster than the sulcata, which, as you may know, is a VERY fast growing tortoise. My two Aldabs just graze. I don't feed them at all. Last year I started giving them one meal a week of Mazuri because I was worried that there wasn't enough nutrients in the grass they graze on. They both weigh around 130lbs.

Well, this year, I've noticed that they don't seem to be as strong on their legs as I would like them to be. One of them doesn't really drag himself, but he doesn't get up high when he walks. And now, last week the other one dips to the ground when he raises that back leg to walk forward.

I did some research on the tree growing in their pen and found out that wax leaf privet is toxic. I've been seeing lots of leaves in their poop lately.

Also, I suspected a calcium deficiency.

So I called out the vet, who agreed that the privet is toxic, however, she felt that the symptoms more mimic the lack of calcium.

So, moral to the story...if you only graze your tortoise, you really do need to figure out some way to supplement calcium and other vitamins and minerals. Its much easier to keep them healthy and growing right than it is to correct a problem.

To anyone else reading this thread, this really only applies to a very fast-growing type of tortoise that grows large quickly. I've been only feeding my desert tortoises the grass and weeds in their habitat for many, many years with no calcium def. problems.

Thanks for the info Emysemys. My aldabra lives outside during the summer months here in Georgia and does graze on clover and bermuda grass. I too use Mazuri about twice a week but also feed alot of collard greens, Mustard greens and Kale which from what I understand all have a good amonunt of calcium. Squirt wasnt crazy about the dark thick leaved greens at first but with persistance now eats as much as I put in the pen. I also give some thawed frozen mixed veggies at times along with some grapes and strwberries as treats...(about every 2 weeks.) Squirt is the only Aldabra I have but I do also keep 4 redfoots as well. I used to keep Sulcata's as well. You mention the back legs and walking of the Aldabra and I can say even when real young I have noticed the gate or stride of my Aldabra is a bit different than other tortoises. Hard to explain but almost an uncordinated type walk, clunking around. Very shy when young and can really take off the other direction when approached. As he/she gets larger seems to be more curious for a minute or two before high tailing it the other direction!

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
beautiful tort! welcome to the forum, and pics are always happily welcomed!

teri

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Very shy when young and can really take off the other direction when approached. As he/she gets larger seems to be more curious for a minute or two before high tailing it the other direction!

thats why i love my Galapagos tortoise! she has a great personality, and isnt shy once she gets to know you, and you touch her the right way!

Littlefoot also likes to stand up very tall, and she is very strong, so I am assuming she has a lot of calcium? I feed her Mazuri and the healthy greens as well.

Do Aldabras have a sweet spot under their front limbs to trigger them to stand up and stretch their neck out?

Also, do Aldabras have a squishy nose? My littlefoot (and I think all Galaps), have a squishy nose, its not hard like bone, but soft like skin.

DAV46

5 Year Member
Your Galapagos sounds great. I am by no means an expert on Aldabra's but have seen where some rub them on a sweet spot and they lift straight up off the ground. I have read where Aldabra's are much shyer than Galapagos when young and actually run from human interaction but tend to grow out of it as they gain some size and Im sure confidence. At this point I dont push myself on her/him and just let things happen. Been a little over a year and just now seeing squirt calm down a bit with human presence.
As far as a squishy nose...I have a jack russell with one but no tortoise...hahaha

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
spikethebest said:
she has a great personality, and isnt shy once she gets to know you, and you touch her the right way!

Most of my girlfriends were the same way.

DAV46

5 Year Member
For the one that asked for another pic.....squirt1.JPGSquirt the Aldabra about to hit the ground running!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Wow, what a beauty. Look at those massive dinosaur legs! I'd love to see a face shot if she'll let you get that close.

Squirt! That will be fun when she gets to her full size. Lucky you!!

DAV46

5 Year Member
Exactly why we named him/her that. We were looking for a unisex name since we can't be sure if it is male or female until he/she gets older. We thought it funny to a 300+ lb tortoise named Squirt!

Squirt3.jpgGot a basic camera so doesnt take great close-ups but here is a closer shot where you can see the face. Go figure, you can fork out this kind of money for a tortoise but can't for a camera....geez these tortoise people!!!

HarleyK

5 Year Member
Wow awesome tort and beautiful shell. Their thick limbs always remind me of those brontosaurus legs. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.