anole or tree frog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I know many of you are against other animals in with your torts, but I have been reading up on the bioactive substrate, which I have put together for my new RF enclosure. The substrate has bugs and worms to turn the soil and decompose any left over Poo and food. My worry is the bugs getting out of control. I currently have an infestation of wood lice. The articles suggest anoles or geckos with the RF, but all the geckos I researched are desert type and would not be compatible with the RF. Some tree frogs have toxin in thier skin that can leach into the water when they sit in it. So.....

I am wondering which you feel would be a better choice ? Anole or tree frog(which species)? I would love to hear EVERYONES opinion and if you have kept either with or alone I would like to know more on their care and your personal experiences.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Hi Jessica,
Having had both, and knowing the humidity both need. It sounds great, and especially for the eating of the bugs. I just am not sure how you would keep them in? I had my anoles in a smaller aquarium (and the tree frogs also(gray ones)) and the frogs were Ok, but the anoles if they got out were not easy to retrieve. I guess if you had a secure top? But then the lights were always on top of my screens and with my torts, my lights are pretty close to the substrate and the frogs and lizards would climb on them and I am sure that's not good(hot!!)
So curious about what your set up is?
Good luck Nay

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I had frogs in with my boxie, but they moved in on their own and left when it got too cold.....I guess. I never thought about them being poison.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Angi said:
I had frogs in with my boxie, but they moved in on their own and left when it got too cold.....I guess. I never thought about them being poison.

I am not sure all are, but was looking at a White's tree frog or a cuban and see that they can give off toxins from their skin. Did not read anything on the gree tree frog.

Nay said:
Hi Jessica,
Having had both, and knowing the humidity both need. It sounds great, and especially for the eating of the bugs. I just am not sure how you would keep them in? I had my anoles in a smaller aquarium (and the tree frogs also(gray ones)) and the frogs were Ok, but the anoles if they got out were not easy to retrieve. I guess if you had a secure top? But then the lights were always on top of my screens and with my torts, my lights are pretty close to the substrate and the frogs and lizards would climb on them and I am sure that's not good(hot!!)
So curious about what your set up is?
Good luck Nay

I have a fully enclosed enclosure:
004.jpg

I am looking at a way to put a wire frame with fiberglass screening around the heat emitters so nothing could crawl onto them. Do anoles climb on the walls? I wasn't sure if they would be as likely to go onto the lights as a tree frog that clings to the sides and can jump far. I don't know much about the anoles though so any info is greatly appreciated!

Thank you for the reply.

JohnathanO

5 Year Member
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
yeah, anoles will climb the walls, but the are extremely fast so you'd have to be careful opening the enclosure. What about a crested gecko or gargoyle gecko? they make great pets, and they are nocturnal so they'd most likely eat while the tortoise is asleep. Mine are on strict powder mixed with water diet, but I've heard of them also eating bugs......just another option

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
JohnathanO said:
yeah, anoles will climb the walls, but the are extremely fast so you'd have to be careful opening the enclosure. What about a crested gecko or gargoyle gecko? they make great pets, and they are nocturnal so they'd most likely eat while the tortoise is asleep. Mine are on strict powder mixed with water diet, but I've heard of them also eating bugs......just another option

Are they able to handle the higher humidity that the RF needs? I was looking at a gecko and would actually prefer but thought they were desert lizards. And most were over $50 so thought it was a little much if my RF decides to eat him ( which I REALLY hope wouldn't happen :( ) I think there is an expo coming to Madison in May so trying to get as much info as possible so I can check them out there. So thank you so much for the info, I really appreciate it!

JohnathanO

5 Year Member
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
They love humidity, I keep mine at around %80 ,

And if your interested in a gecko you can handle it's a bonus cause they are great.

here's a pic of my gargoyle gecko (extremely similar to a crested gecko) with my niece

imgp5466.jpg

imgp5467.jpg

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Jonathano, thanks for the info! I guess I will read up more on the gargoyle and crested gecko. I have seen mostly leopards avaiable on craigslist here and read they like it dryer - more compatible with my greek tort.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
turnip tail gecko (Thecadactylus rapicauda) or an Amazon Wood Lizard (Enyalioides laticeps) would be compatable so would a jungle runner (Ameiva ameiva petersi) they are both from the same place as a rft. wood lice as in isopods are good to have around they are detritavores. Gray Tree frogs are toxic but are not continuous secreaters (meaning they put out their toxin all the time) but are more like toad (Bufo, Anaxyrus). They though need a cold period (winter). crested prefer cooler temps than RFT do. they are also arboreal as are the gargoyles so they need a higher terrarium. i'm currently writting a book on setting up established system terrariums, aquaterrariums, and aquarriums that emulate differnt microenvironments in the Amazonia. so if you have any questions just ask me. oh a possible frog is Leptodactylus pentadactylus.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Here are some local Baja Leopard Frogs I collect....Neat, lots of chirpping. I too raise geckos, but dont favor mixing them with the small geckos I have ..although in a humid RF setup , that needs control ...might be ideal. The only input I have with keeping lizards of any sorts with torts, is they DO poop alot !.......and your set up needs constant cleaning ......

frog.jpg

JD~:)

Status
Not open for further replies.