Annoying

duffield9

Location (City and/or State)
Sioux Falls
Ok another question if you soak Russian once a week and make sure veggies are sprayed with water right before eating do you need water bowl?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Male Russian won’t leave female alone they have been together for 6 years but has been very aggressive past month is this just a trying to mate phase how long will it last ? I would hate to separate after all this time
I've also witnessed a female tortoise beating the tar out of a male. They just don't really want to be together except for the time it takes for breeding. Then they're done with trying to get along. It reminds me of hummingbirds. I love watching them fight but they can fly away from each other. If it's time for making babies it's adorable. It doesn't last long though and it's back to a fight to the finish. Tortoises are the same except they can't get away from each other especially if kept together.?

duffield9

Sioux Falls
Ty yes just seems they don’t eat some days so thought feeding 5 days would keep them hungry but I will put food out every day

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Ty yes just seems they don’t eat some days so thought feeding 5 days would keep them hungry but I will put food out every day
I only get upset on the days that my little Russian has eaten every morsel. I feel like I probably didn't put out enough. I never know when that's going to happen so I always give him a salad at least as big as him. He usually eats at least some of it.

duffield9

Sioux Falls
I only get upset on the days that my little Russian has eaten every morsel. I feel like I probably didn't put out enough. I never know when that's going to happen so I always give him a salad at least as big as him. He usually eats at least some of it.
Ty just give them something else every day let them decide ha

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Does this “keep separate” rule also apply to 3 toe box turtles?
No idea, but I think that as a kind of general rule, groups are OK like of one male and three females, but really, it comes down to the fact that they do not live together in herds naturally, and only get together to mate, and the mating is not what we would call loving and tender.