Annoyed by Non-Tortoise Owner

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Trust me, their reach stretches well beyond just your borders!
I agree and I have spent 5years in Germany . But I only want to speak about the USA sense I live here ! There are enough people blaming other places and they haven't Evan been there .

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Crating a dog while working or sleeping or when gone is not a cruel or mean thing to do, as long as they are in an appropriate size cage. What is cruel is not crating a dog and then punishing it every time it chews something up while you were gone or sleeping. If done right, dogs love their crates.
I actually have no experience with dog crates or with dogs that chew things up. My wife works very close to home and can walk the dog during the daytime.
My view has been tainted by a fellow that I know that owns two gigantic Rottweiler dogs that live about 90% of their lives in a crate that would be too small for one of them to turn around in. To top it off, he lives in an apartment. So the dogs never get to run around outside in a yard.

klawran1

5 Year Member
Acworth, GA
I actually have no experience with dog crates or with dogs that chew things up. My wife works very close to home and can walk the dog during the daytime.
My view has been tainted by a fellow that I know that owns two gigantic Rottweiler dogs that live about 90% of their lives in a crate that would be too small for one of them to turn around in. To top it off, he lives in an apartment. So the dogs never get to run around outside in a yard.

That always bothers me when I know people do that. I am all for crate training. My dog is crate trained, but he only goes in there if he can't behave when company is over or if he puts himself away. To him, that's still his 'safe place' so he will take his toys in there and chew or sleep. I had a friend who kept a Great Dane that lived most of his life in a crate. Sure, the crate was big enough, but she never trained him so he was pretty destructive in the house meaning he got to stay in the crate until she took him to pee.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Now that is cruel. I have used crates for most of my dogs. They shouldn't be used for punishment or as a almost perminent home. All my dogs have loved their crates. If you ever finding yourself needing to use one, don't feel bad about it. Done right and you will find that the dog will not view it as a bad thing, but a place he loves and feels safe in should he ever get scared. My dog hates fireworks and wants her cage when she is scared by them. I even tried letting her sleep where ever. Leaving her cage door open. She still slept in her cage.
When it's done wrong, then yes, it is cruelty and animal abuse.

klawran1

5 Year Member
Acworth, GA
My job is very easy. Per my boss, "Don't embarrass me and make sure the front desk is always covered." Simple.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Not to hijack this thread... but it reminded me of something that I want to vent about too. :) I met a guy at an "animal fair" type thing and there was a tortoise which I took great interest in. I told him I had a female Russian. He said, "How do you know it's female?", and I said the tail. He informed me that the tail cannot determine the sex and it's only the shell (concave or not). "The tail doesn't make a single difference". He treated me like I was an idiot. I was so mad. Everyone on the forum looks at the tail as well as the concave shell!!! Different kind of frustration... same anger. I understand. ;)

klawran1

5 Year Member
Acworth, GA
I get that! I actually met someone at Repticon who argued with me about the sex, the care of the animal, and they said that coil bulbs were perfectly safe and it messing up their eyes is only a myth. He bred Sulcatas and they lived indoors on rabbit pellets and he saw no reason not to offer them dog food because it made them 'grow bigger' (His words, not mine).Needless to say, that conversation ended very quickly and no one in my group even considered his animals.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Not to hijack this thread... but it reminded me of something that I want to vent about too. :) I met a guy at an "animal fair" type thing and there was a tortoise which I took great interest in. I told him I had a female Russian. He said, "How do you know it's female?", and I said the tail. He informed me that the tail cannot determine the sex and it's only the shell (concave or not). "The tail doesn't make a single difference". He treated me like I was an idiot. I was so mad. Everyone on the forum looks at the tail as well as the concave shell!!! Different kind of frustration... same anger. I understand. ;)

Just shows how much he knows. Male Russians' plastrons don't concave. They remain flat their whole life.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona

I think people sharing knowledge is a wonderful thing , its too bad they don't have the necessary people skills to do it without coming off sounding condescending !

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I have enjoyed reading this thread but the best part for me is the Title "Annoyed by Non-Tortoise Owner."

I was reading through quite anxiously, trying to discover exactly what a "Non-Tortoise" looked like...LOL!!! And it seems the guy who was trying to get you to put in the chain link fence, probably was the lucky owner of a non-tortoise.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I have enjoyed reading this thread but the best part for me is the Title "Annoyed by Non-Tortoise Owner."

I was reading through quite anxiously, trying to discover exactly what a "Non-Tortoise" looked like...LOL!!! And it seems the guy who was trying to get you to put in the chain link fence, probably was the lucky owner of a non-tortoise.

t3304.gif